Partition Function for Positronium

In summary, the conversation involves discussing a homework problem involving finding the partition function, probability, and mean energy for positronium at a temperature of 20000K. The partition function is evaluated using the given energy levels and degeneracies. The probability is found by substituting the partition function into the equation for probability. Finally, the mean energy is calculated using the partition function and energy levels.
wilsonaj4
First off, I'm glad I'm finally a member on this board. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY over the past few years with various problems I've had. You guys/gals are awesome and hopefully I can make some contributions to this site.

1. Homework Statement

A. Write down the partition function for positronium, assuming that only the levels illustrated in the diagram exist. Evaluate the partition function for T=20000K. Remember to include the degeneracies for each level. (I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste the diagram I was given, so I googled the one below. It's the same diagram, but the diagram I was given stops at the N=3 energy level)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsDOxvDPL91NPAZx92QcxENKIvdq_Q1dBLbCOYSGcAvyMY8PZLQw.png

B. Write down an expression for the probability that the atom will exist in the state given by N=3, l=1, and determine that probability for T=20000K

C. Find an expression for the mean energy and evaluate that expression for T=20000K

Homework Equations

1. En = 6.803eV (1 - 1/n2)
2. Z= ∑e-E(s)/KT
3. P(s)= 1/z * e-En/KT
4. ∑ E(s)* P(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

A. So, we haven't done anything even close to this in class, so I'm a little coonfused, but to start, I substituted eq1 into the partition function in eq2 to get Z= ∑e-6.803eV (1 - 1/n2)/KT. After this, I'm completely stuck because we didn't really cover degeneracy in class very well. I know I'm supposed to multiply the expression by the degeneracy, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

B. Once A is found, this should be straightforward
C. Once A is found, this should be straightforwardMy work is due by 11/25 at 5pm (EST), any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can treat the degenerate states like different states with a very similar energy (they just happen to have a difference of exactly zero here), I think. The real states are not degenerate either.

5 pm where? In my time zone, you posted the thread after 5 pm ;).

mfb said:
You can treat the degenerate states like different states with a very similar energy (they just happen to have a difference of exactly zero here), I think. The real states are not degenerate either.

5 pm where? In my time zone, you posted the thread after 5 pm ;).

So for my n in my energy equation, I can just use the degeneracy?

and I've edited my post to include time zone, thanks!

So, I've rewritten the partition function using what I think is correct regarding the degeneracy.

Z= e-6.803(1-1/9)/KT + e-6.803(1-1/4)/KT + e-6.803(1-1/1)/KT
= e-6.047/KT + e-5.102/KT + e0
= (4)(1+ e-6.047/KT + e-5.102/KT)

I multiplied the partition function by 4 since it's four-fold degenerate.

am I at least on the right track?

Last edited:
I don't see where you used the degeneracy now.

mfb said:
I don't see where you used the degeneracy now.

Sorry, I should've multiplied the partition function by 4 since it's four-fold degenerate. Is that correct?

4? One specific part of it, yes.

Related to Partition Function for Positronium

1. What is the partition function for positronium?

The partition function for positronium is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy levels in a system of positronium particles. It is denoted by the symbol Z and is a sum of the Boltzmann factors for all possible energy states of the system.

2. How is the partition function for positronium calculated?

The partition function for positronium can be calculated using the following formula: Z = ∑i e-Ei/kT, where ∑i represents the sum over all possible energy states, Ei is the energy of state i, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the system.

3. What is the significance of the partition function for positronium?

The partition function for positronium is a fundamental quantity in statistical mechanics that allows us to calculate other thermodynamic properties of the system, such as the free energy, entropy, and specific heat. It also provides information about the equilibrium state of the system.

4. How does the partition function for positronium differ from that of other systems?

The partition function for positronium is similar to that of other systems, but it takes into account the unique properties of positronium particles. This includes the fact that positronium has two possible spin states and that it can annihilate with its antiparticle, the electron, resulting in a decrease in the number of particles in the system.

5. What are some applications of the partition function for positronium?

The partition function for positronium has applications in various fields, such as astrophysics, plasma physics, and material science. It is used to study the thermodynamic properties of positronium gas, as well as the behavior of positronium in different environments, such as in stars or in fusion reactors. It also plays a role in understanding the formation and stability of positronium-containing materials.