Particles in a Magnetic Field Question

In summary: Oh! So I can say Vq= 1/2mv2 and mv2/r= qvB... So I solved for v on both sides and got v=qBr/m and v=√2Vq/m and then combine those, solve for q/m and so q/m=2V/B2r2! I plugged in the numbers and got the right answer, 9.0x10-27 kg. Thank you so much for your help, glad I finally got it :)Well done!
pauladancer

Homework Statement

A beam of doubly ionized particles (i.e., twice the elementary charge) is accelerated across a potential difference of 2000 V in a mass spectrometer. They are then passed perpendicularly through a magnetic field of 0.085 T resulting in a radius of curvature 12.5 cm. Calculate the mass of the unknown ion.

Homework Equations

Fc= mv2/r
Fm= qvB
ΔV=ΔE/q

The Attempt at a Solution

We are supposed to derive a formula for q/m without velocity. I think the solution probably involves the centripetal force being equal to something but I'm not sure what. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In your third relevant equation, where does the ΔE end up?

gneill said:
In your third relevant equation, where does the ΔE end up?
ΔE is the change in potential energy experienced by the particle. I could find that, but I'm not sure what I would do from there.

pauladancer said:
ΔE is the change in potential energy experienced by the particle. I could find that, but I'm not sure what I would do from there.
How is the change in energy expressed by the particle?

gneill said:
How is the change in energy expressed by the particle?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean! To be honest I'm not even sure if I need that equation.

pauladancer said:
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean! To be honest I'm not even sure if I need that equation.
Oh, you definitely need it :smile:

What happens to a charged particle when it "falls" through a potential difference? What about the particle changes?

gneill said:
Oh, you definitely need it :smile:

What happens to a charged particle when it "falls" through a potential difference? What about the particle changes?
Haha ok good! I guess it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy, would that ΔE be equal to 1/2mv2?

pauladancer said:
Haha ok good! I guess it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy, would that ΔE be equal to 1/2mv2?
Why, yes it would! :smile:

gneill said:
Why, yes it would! :smile:
Perfect! Ok, so I can say that ΔE= 6.4x10-16 J which would also equal 1/2mv2. After that I'm still not sure what to do!

pauladancer said:
Perfect! Ok, so I can say that ΔE= 6.4x10-16 J which would also equal 1/2mv2. After that I'm still not sure what to do!
You now have an expression involving m and v. What's another relationship that involves m and v once the particle enters the magnetic field?

Fc= mv2/r ?

pauladancer said:
Fc= mv2/r ?
Try it.

gneill said:
Try it.
OH! So I can say Vq= 1/2mv2 and mv2/r= qvB... So I solved for v on both sides and got v=qBr/m and v=√2Vq/m and then combine those, solve for q/m and so q/m=2V/B2r2! I plugged in the numbers and got the right answer, 9.0x10-27 kg. Thank you so much for your help, glad I finally got it :)

Well done! Glad I could help.

Related to Particles in a Magnetic Field Question

1. What are particles in a magnetic field?

Particles in a magnetic field refer to charged particles, such as electrons or protons, that are moving in the presence of a magnetic field. The magnetic field can affect the trajectory and behavior of the particles.

2. How does a magnetic field affect particles?

A magnetic field can exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move in a circular or helical path. This is known as the Lorentz force and is dependent on the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between a particle's charge and its motion in a magnetic field?

The direction and magnitude of a particle's motion in a magnetic field is dependent on the particle's charge. Positively charged particles will move in one direction while negatively charged particles will move in the opposite direction.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is typically measured using a unit called the Tesla (T). This unit is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle of one coulomb moving at a velocity of one meter per second in a magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of particles in a magnetic field?

Particles in a magnetic field have many practical applications, including in particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors. They are also used in research to study the properties of materials and in space exploration to study the effects of magnetic fields on spacecraft and astronauts.