Particle Physics and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the Standard Model and has many other applications such as modern electronics and medicine. It is also the basis for classical mechanics, but a deeper understanding of both is needed to fully appreciate their relationship.
crastinus
I’m having a hard time, as I begin learning QM, knowing what it applies to, if I can put it that way.

Is QM the rules that describe how the particles of the Standard Model interact with each other? Or what is the best way to understand the relationship between what one studies when one studies QM and what one studies when one studies the standard model?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum mechanics is necessary for understanding the Standard Model, but it's also possible to form many other theories in QM in addition to SM. This is similar to how Newton's first, second and third laws are necessary for understanding the classical theory of gravity, but can be applied to other things, too.

crastinus said:
I’m having a hard time, as I begin learning QM, knowing what it applies to, if I can put it that way.

Our modern electronics, such as your microprocessor, your mobile devices, your computers, etc.. are all built on QM.

Modern medicine, such as MRI, are built on QM.

QM's applications are all around you. You do not have to reach out as far as the Standard Model or particle physics to find them.

Zz.

Likes bhobba
Believe it or not classical mechanics is built on QM. But first you need to learn QM to the level of path integrals and Classical Mechanics at the level of a book like Landau - Mechanics.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks for the help!

Related to Particle Physics and Quantum Mechanics

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. These particles include quarks, leptons, and bosons, and the forces include gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to particle physics?

Quantum mechanics is the mathematical framework that describes the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. It is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and other experiments in particle physics.

3. What are the main principles of quantum mechanics?

The main principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and uncertainty, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

4. What is the role of the Higgs boson in particle physics?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving other particles mass. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What are some practical applications of particle physics and quantum mechanics?

Particle physics and quantum mechanics have numerous practical applications, such as in medical imaging techniques like MRI and PET scans, in the development of new technologies like transistors and lasers, and in cryptography for secure communication.