Particle Moving on a Straight Line: Where is it Likely to Be Found?

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability density and expectation value of a particle moving on a straight line described by \psi(x)=\frac{1+ix}{1+ix^2}. The question is about the maximum probability of finding the particle, and the answer is approximately x = 0.643 and x = -0.643. There is also a mention of ignoring the imaginary solutions and using factorisation to find the answer.
roshan2004
A particle moving on a straight line is described by [tex]\psi(x)=\frac{1+ix}{1+ix^2}[/tex].
Where is the particle likely to be found?
I took the derivative of probability density with respect to x and equated it to 0. I got my answer to be x=0.643,-0.643,1.554i and -1.554i.
Please tell me whether I am right or wrong or are there any other methods to solve this problem or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason for the expectation value to be at a stationary point of the probability density.

You have to evaluate the integral <x> = ∫ψ*(x)xψ(x)dx = ∫xP(x)dx.

But the question is about maximum probability of finding the particle, isn't it?

"Where is the particle likely to be found" usually means that they want you to find the expectation value of x.

Unless the exact wording of the question was "where is the particle most likely to be found". Then you would find the x which maximises P(x).

So if the question is where the particle is most likely to be found, is my answer correct.

x is a real number, how did you get imaginary values?

By factorising

Now I finally got it, thanks dx

Related to Particle Moving on a Straight Line: Where is it Likely to Be Found?

1. What determines the position of a particle moving on a straight line?

The position of a particle moving on a straight line is determined by its initial position, velocity, and the time elapsed since its motion began.

2. How does acceleration affect the position of a particle on a straight line?

If the particle is experiencing constant acceleration, its position will change at a consistent rate. If the acceleration is changing, the position will change at a varying rate, depending on the specific acceleration at each moment.

3. Can a particle be in multiple positions at the same time on a straight line?

No, a particle can only be in one position at a given time on a straight line. However, it can move between different positions at different times.

4. How does the motion of a particle on a straight line relate to its velocity?

The motion of a particle on a straight line is directly related to its velocity. If the velocity is constant, the particle will move at a consistent speed in a straight line. If the velocity is changing, the particle will accelerate or decelerate, causing its motion to change.

5. Is there a specific location on a straight line where a particle is most likely to be found?

No, the position of a particle moving on a straight line can vary and is not limited to a specific location. However, the probability of finding the particle in a certain location can be determined by its speed and acceleration at a given time.