Particle motion - Path Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving at a constant speed of 2.4 m/s and then changing speed at a rate of 2.2√v m/s2 between point O and B. The task is to determine the magnitude of acceleration when the particle is just to the left and just to the right of point A. For part (a), the solution is 4.145 m/s2, while for part (b), the solution is 6.690 m/s2. To solve part (b), assumptions need to be made about the particle's acceleration at the right side of point A. By setting s=0 and v=3.65 m/s, the equation v2/2=ats
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

Pytel Dynamics Problem 13.4

13.4 The particle passespoint O at the speed of 2.4 m/s. Between O and B, the speed changes
at the rate of 2.2√v m/s2, where v is the speed in m/s. Determine the magnitude of
the acceleration when the particle is (a) just to the left of pont A; and (b) just to right of point A.

Fig 13_4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

He gives solutions for a) 4.145 m/s2. I get the following:

Pytels_Dynamics058.jpg

for b) he gives 6.690 m/s2

My problem is how to solve part b. I have done trial and error by using the equation
v2/2=ats+C but I don't know what assumptions should I make.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the right side of point A , the particle begins to rotate so you need to take that to consideration.

At the right point of A do I say v=3.65 m/s, at = ? and s=0 or 0.9?
Am I looking to find a=√(at)2 + (an)2 ?

You can see the problem at the right side of A as following. A particle with initial speed and initial acceleration starts a rotation.
I would suggest you to begin from the definition of the angular acceleration. If you set s=0 is fine.

Some more help...
I tried some different things but no luck.
I have set s=0 and v = 3.65 to equation v2/2=ats+C and found C=6.661
Also I have found an just after A to be 5.55m/s2

I got it!

We just assume that at just before A is 4.2m/s2 and just after A is 4.2m/s2

and then find an = 5.55 m/s2. Then a = 6.96 m/s2
or

we could do the following:
Pytels_Dynamics060.jpg

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Can you check this?

Related to Particle motion - Path Coordinates

1. What is particle motion?

Particle motion is the movement of a particle or object through space over time. It can be described by its position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What are path coordinates?

Path coordinates are a way to describe the path or trajectory of a moving particle. They include the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points along its path.

3. How do path coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates describe the position of a particle in terms of its x, y, and z coordinates in a three-dimensional space. Path coordinates take into account the particle's motion and describe its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points along its path.

4. What are some applications of studying particle motion and path coordinates?

Particle motion and path coordinates are important in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, track the movement of particles in a system, and understand the behavior of complex systems.

5. How do scientists use path coordinates to analyze and interpret data?

Scientists use path coordinates to plot the motion of a particle over time and analyze its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points along its path. This allows them to make predictions about future motion and understand the underlying mechanisms driving the particle's motion.