Particle Motion Along a Straight Line

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving from one point to another with a given speed and constant acceleration. To find an equation for the position vector, the acceleration vector must first be integrated to get the velocity vector. The vector constants of integration are needed to properly integrate the acceleration vector. Once the velocity vector is found, it can be integrated again to get the position vector. The direction of the vector can be found by dividing the vector by its magnitude.
jdawg

Homework Statement

At time t=0, a particle is located at the point (1,2,3). It travels in a straight line to the point (4,1,4), has speed 2 at (1,2,3) and constant acceleration 3i-j+k. Find an equation for the position vector r(t) of the particle at time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not exactly sure what to do with this information. I was thinking maybe integrate the acceleration vector to get the velocity vector, and the integrate that to get the position. But if it were that simple, then why would they give me all that other information? I'm very confused by this problem, please give me a hint on how to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

At time t=0, a particle is located at the point (1,2,3). It travels in a straight line to the point (4,1,4), has speed 2 at (1,2,3) and constant acceleration 3i-j+k. Find an equation for the position vector r(t) of the particle at time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not exactly sure what to do with this information. I was thinking maybe integrate the acceleration vector to get the velocity vector, and the integrate that to get the position. But if it were that simple, then why would they give me all that other information? I'm very confused by this problem, please give me a hint on how to start!

You have the right idea. You start by integrating the acceleration vector, after you figure out its length and direction to start. Remember you get vector constants of integration each time you integrate, so you will need the extra info. Try it and show us what you get.

This is what I got for the integration:
v(t)=(3t)I-(t)j+(t)k
r(t)=([itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]t2)I-([itex]\frac{t2}{2}[/itex])j+([itex]\frac{t2}{2}[/itex])k

acceleration magnitude: [itex]\sqrt{11}[/itex]

How do you find the direction of a vector? Is it just [itex]\frac{1}{magnitude}[/itex]*the vector?
Or am I looking for an angle? Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on my vectors.

jdawg said:
This is what I got for the integration:
v(t)=(3t)i-(t)j+(t)k

You need to add the constant vector of integration ##\vec v_0##. Figure out its components from the given before integrating again.

r(t)=([itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]t2)I-([itex]\frac{t2}{2}[/itex])j+([itex]\frac{t2}{2}[/itex])k

acceleration magnitude: [itex]\sqrt{11}[/itex]

How do you find the direction of a vector? Is it just [itex]\frac{1}{magnitude}[/itex]*the vector?
Or am I looking for an angle? Sorry, I'm a little fuzzy on my vectors.

Don't mix tex with sup icons. You can write the whole expression in tex like this:
[itex]\frac{2}{3}t^2i-(\frac{t^2}{2})j+(\frac{t^2}{2})k[/itex].

Quote this to see how to do it. We will get to that after you get the velocity right.

Related to Particle Motion Along a Straight Line

1. What is particle motion along a straight line?

Particle motion along a straight line refers to the movement of a particle in a single direction, without any change in direction or acceleration. This type of motion is also known as linear motion.

2. What factors affect particle motion along a straight line?

The speed and direction of the particle, as well as any external forces acting on it, can affect particle motion along a straight line. In addition, the properties of the medium through which the particle is moving can also impact its motion.

3. How is particle motion along a straight line represented?

Particle motion along a straight line can be represented graphically using a position-time graph, which shows the distance the particle has traveled at different points in time. It can also be described mathematically using equations such as the equations of motion.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity in particle motion along a straight line?

Average velocity is the overall rate at which the particle is moving over a certain period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of the particle at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, while instantaneous velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.

5. How does particle motion along a straight line relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Particle motion along a straight line is governed by Newton's laws of motion, particularly the first law of motion (inertia) and the second law of motion (force and acceleration). These laws explain the relationship between the motion of a particle, the forces acting on it, and its mass and acceleration.