Particle collision at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation laws to solve for the mass and velocities of particles involved in a perfect elastic collision. Three equations are set up, including conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, and it is suggested to write separate equations for parallel and perpendicular components of momentum. The direction of the original path is chosen as the +x axis.
Saxby

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m traveling at a velocity u makes a perfect elastic collision with a stationary particle. After the collision both particles are observed to be traveling in directions making angles of 30 degrees to the original path of the first particle.

a) Use the laws of the conservation of energy and momentum to write down three equations relating mass and velocities of the particles involved in the collision described above.

b) Solve the equations to find the mass of the seocnd particle and the final velocities of the two particles.

2. Relevent equations
Kinetic energy: Ek = (1/2)*m*v2
Conservation of momentum: (m1*u1) + (m2*u2) = (m1*v1) + (m2*v2)
m1 = Mass of particle that was intially moving
m2 = Mass of particle that was intially stationary
u1 = Intial velocity of m1
v1 = Final velocity of m1
v2 = Final velocity of m2

3. The attempt at solution
I believe the first equation in the problem is the conservation of momentum, which for this problem i have written as:

m1*u1 = [m1* ((v1sinθ)2 + (v1cosθ)2)1/2] + [m2 * ( (v2sinθ)2 + (v2sinθ)2)1/2]

I believe the second equation in the problem is kinetic energy:

(1/2)*m1*u12 = (1/2)*m1*(v1sinθ2 + v1cosθ2) + (1/2)*m2*(v2sinθ2 + v2cosθ2)

For the third equation i have no idea, i don't believe it's rotational energy or anything like that. I think it may have somthing to do with the angles but frankly i don't know. Any help would be much apprietiated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Saxby said:
I believe the first equation in the problem is the conservation of momentum, which for this problem i have written as:

m1*u1 = [m1* ((v1sinθ)2 + (v1cosθ)2)1/2] + [m2 * ( (v2sinθ)2 + (v2sinθ)2)1/2]
Momentum is a vector so you have to treat is as such. Write separate momentum conservation equations for components parallel and perpendicular to the original direction. (That's how you'll end up with three equations.)

Doc Al said:
Momentum is a vector so you have to treat is as such. Write separate momentum conservation equations for components parallel and perpendicular to the original direction. (That's how you'll end up with three equations.)

Thank you, that makes sense. But how do i know what percent of the original momentum goes in the y-direction of both particles and how much goes in the x-direction?

Saxby said:
Thank you, that makes sense. But how do i know what percent of the original momentum goes in the y-direction of both particles and how much goes in the x-direction?
You don't need to know anything. Just set up an equation for the x-components and another for the y-components. You have the angles. I would choose the original direction to be along the +x axis.

I can help you with solving this problem. Firstly, you are correct in identifying the first two equations as the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. However, in the first equation, the final velocities of both particles should be written as (v1cos30) and (v2cos30) respectively, as the angle of 30 degrees is given in the problem statement.

For the third equation, we can use the fact that the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. Therefore, we can write the equation as follows:

(1/2)*m1*u1^2 = (1/2)*m1*(v1cos30)^2 + (1/2)*m2*(v2cos30)^2

Now, we have three equations with three unknowns (m2, v1, and v2), and we can solve them simultaneously to find the values of the second particle's mass and the final velocities of both particles. I would recommend using substitution or elimination methods to solve the equations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equations.

Related to Particle collision at an angle

1. What is a particle collision at an angle?

A particle collision at an angle is when two particles collide with each other while traveling along different paths and at different angles. This type of collision is often studied in physics experiments and simulations to study the behavior and properties of particles.

2. How is the angle of collision between particles determined?

The angle of collision between particles is determined by the trajectory of the particles and their initial velocities. This can be calculated using mathematical equations and simulations, or measured through experiments using specialized equipment.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of a particle collision at an angle?

Some factors that can affect the outcome of a particle collision at an angle include the mass, velocity, and charge of the particles, as well as any external forces or fields acting on them. The angle of collision and the type of interaction between the particles can also play a role.

4. What types of particles can be involved in a collision at an angle?

Any type of particle can be involved in a collision at an angle, including subatomic particles like electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as larger particles like atoms and molecules. In particle accelerators, even larger particles like ions and nuclei can be collided at specific angles.

5. What is the significance of studying particle collisions at angles?

Studying particle collisions at angles can help scientists understand the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern the interactions between particles. It can also provide insight into the behavior of particles in different environments, such as in the early universe or in extreme conditions like black holes.