Partical Mass - Energy - Quantum Dynamics - Distance

In summary, Bala detected the creation of a particle with a rest energy of 1672 MeV and total energy of 2330 MeV. He calculates that the particle has a mean lifetime of 8.2 x 10^11 seconds.
mahdzer

Homework Statement

This is the question.

As an appreciation for his excellent contributions towards making Universiti Sains Malaysia an APEX university, Bala is given the opportunity to do an experiment at the Stanford particle accelerator, USA. During one of his experiments, he detected the creation of an  particle. From his calculation, the  particle has a rest energy 1672 MeV and total energy 2330 MeV.

(a) He wonders: is the  particle a particle without mass? Help him by explaining your answer.

(b) If the  particle decays and leaves a track 24 mm long, what is the

(i) speed of the particle while making the imprint on the track?

(ii) momentum of the particle?

(c) He wrote a note in his laboratory book:

mean lifetime of  particle = 8.2 x 1011 s

Is this value correct? Justify your answer.

Homework Equations

This is the formula that i thought

E = mc2

E = (1/2)mu

p = mu

v = d/t

a = v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i've 1st and 2nd attempt at this cases. For question 1)b)i)

-- get the Ekinetic with Etotal = Erest + Ekinetic

-- then, get the mass using E=mc2.

-- then, i get the velocity using Ekinetic = (1/2)mv

-- then, i get the time using v = d/t.

-- the data is : Ekinetic = 658 MeV, Mass =7.31 x 10 power of -17 g, V = 1.8 x 10 power of 17 m/s, t = 1.33 x 10 power of -19 s.

-- lastly using the a = v/t is 1.35 x 10 power of 36 m/s

for 1)b)ii)

using the p=mu i get the momentum 13.158

for 1)c) lifetime using lifetime = P/triangle(t)

= then using smooth T = 1/r

i get 1.33 x 10 power of -19s.

LASTLY, i think this is not the best solution for the question, i think i miss something? i wonder if my answer right or wrong/// anybody please>>>?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mahdzer! Welcome to PF! :smile:
mahdzer said:
E = (1/2)mu

No, Ekinetic = mc2(1/√(1 - u2/c2) - 1) [or approx (1/2)mu2]

this is the formula of particle without mass isn't?

but how can i prove this particle is particle without mass?

mahdzer said:

this is the formula of particle without mass isn't?

(btw, it's spelled "particle" :wink:)

No, Ekinetic = mc2(1/√(1 - u2/c2) - 1) is the standard formula for KE for mass m.

(for a particle without mass, the KE is the same as the total energy, since obviously there is no rest mass: in other words, m = 0)

Where are you copying your formulas from? :confused:
mahdzer said:
can i forward q1 to this forum link?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15641

I don't follow you :redface: … which post are you referring to?

so that for particle without mass, the KE is the same as total energy, Wallah! i think i can get the idea right here... and this formula just a basic formula, from the book i read. Nevertheless, our modul is too huge, yet i can't find the Partical Without Mass explanation in detail... thanks anyway... i think my solution would be for the Q1 is -

= no, the particle that Bala examined is a Mass because the KE is not the same as total E, from the formula

Ekinetic = mc2(1/√(1 - u2/c2) - 1) - then i think is this answer the Q1a)

- I'm sorry i just start 1st semester Bachelor at Malaysia Science University for this Q, and I've only have Multimedia IT Background b4. So, I'm lack of Physics Knowlege, thanks 4 helping me... i just learn little basics Physics in form 4 and form5 at Secondary School, its long2 time ago.

p:s/ how do i the symbol c2 right and get in the keyboard rite for c the power of 2?

Hi mahdzer! :smile:

Just remember the formulas energy = m/√(1 - v2/c2), momentum = (v/c) times energy …

so, obviously, if v/c = 1, then momentum = energy (and m = 0).

btw, looking at the question again, i see that the question doesn't mention kinetic energy … you introduced kinetic energy for some reason.

Kinetic energy is not a helpful idea in relativity: it's much better only to use rest energy (m) and total energy, as the question does. :wink:

(to produce c2, either [noparse]type "c2", or click the [/noparse]QUOTE button at the bottom of any post, to take you to the reply page, where you'll see a lot of icons above the reply field, and clicking on the X2 icon will raise whatever you type next … eg c2n :wink:)​

Related to Partical Mass - Energy - Quantum Dynamics - Distance

1. What is particle mass?

Particle mass is the amount of matter contained within a particle. It is a measure of the particle's inertia, or resistance to changes in its motion.

2. How is particle mass related to energy?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that a particle's mass is a form of energy, and vice versa.

3. What is quantum dynamics?

Quantum dynamics is the study of the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level. It involves principles such as superposition, uncertainty, and entanglement, and is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles in the microscopic world.

4. How does distance affect particle interactions?

Distance is a critical factor in particle interactions, as particles can only interact with one another over a certain distance known as the interaction range. This range varies depending on the type of interaction and the particles involved.

5. How do these concepts play a role in modern physics?

Particle mass, energy, quantum dynamics, and distance are all fundamental concepts in modern physics. They are used to explain the behavior of particles, the structure of matter, and the forces that govern the universe. Without these concepts, we would not have a complete understanding of the physical world around us.