Partial width for elastic scattering

In summary: Substituting this into the first equation and solving for ##\Gamma_i##, we get:$$\Gamma_i = \dfrac{1300k^2}{\pi}-200$$Therefore, the partial width of resonance for the elastic scattering is:$$\boxed{\Gamma_i = \dfrac{1300k^2}{\pi}-200}$$In summary, we are given the energy and cross section data for a beam of neutrons hitting a target of heavy nuclei with spin ##J_N = 0## and resonance. Using the equations for total cross section and spin degeneracy factor, we can solve for the partial width of resonance for the elastic scattering, which is given by ##
Yaste

Homework Statement

A beam of neutrons hit a target of heavy nuclei with spin ##J_N = 0## with resonance when the energy of the incident beam is 250eV, in the cross section distribution with a maximum of 1300 barns. The width of the maximum is 20 eV. Find the partial width of resonance for the elastic scattering.

2. Homework Equations

$$\sigma_{tot} = \dfrac{\pi}{k^2}\dfrac{g\Gamma_i \Gamma}{(E-E_0)^2+\Gamma^2/4}$$

$$g = \dfrac{2J+1}{(2s_1+1)(2s_2+1)}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I don't know is the ##g## in the previous equation. That's the only thing I need in order to solve the problem. Any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's define the variables in the equations:

- ##\sigma_{tot}## = total cross section
- ##k## = wave number
- ##g## = spin degeneracy factor
- ##\Gamma_i## = partial width of the initial state
- ##\Gamma## = total width of the resonance
- ##E## = energy of the incident beam
- ##E_0## = resonance energy

Now, let's look at the given information:

- ##J_N = 0##, which means that the target has a spin of zero.
- The incident beam has an energy of 250eV.
- The maximum cross section is 1300 barns, and it has a width of 20 eV.

From these, we can deduce that the resonance energy ##E_0## is 250eV, and the total width ##\Gamma## is 20eV. We also know that the spin degeneracy factor ##g## is related to the spins of the target and the incident particle, but since the target has a spin of zero, we can simplify the equation to:

$$g = \dfrac{2J_N+1}{(2s_2+1)}$$

Since we don't know the spin of the incident particle, we can't determine the exact value of ##g##. However, we can make an educated guess based on the fact that the spin of the target is zero and the total width is relatively small compared to the resonance energy. In this case, we can assume that the incident particle also has a spin of zero, which means that ##s_2 = 0## and ##g = 1##.

Now, we can use the given information to solve for the partial width of resonance for the elastic scattering. Plugging in the values in the first equation, we get:

$$1300 = \dfrac{\pi}{k^2}\dfrac{\Gamma_i \Gamma}{20^2+\Gamma^2/4}$$

Since we don't know the value of ##k##, we can't solve for ##\Gamma_i## and ##\Gamma## directly. However, we can use the given information to find the ratio between them. We know that at the maximum cross section, the total width is equal to the width of the maximum, which means that:

$$20 = \dfrac{\Gamma}{2

Related to Partial width for elastic scattering

1. What is the definition of partial width for elastic scattering?

The partial width for elastic scattering is a measure of the probability that a scattering process will occur between two particles. It represents the fraction of the total energy available for the particles to interact with each other in an elastic collision.

2. How is the partial width for elastic scattering calculated?

The partial width for elastic scattering can be calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics and the properties of the particles involved, such as their masses, charges, and interaction strengths.

3. What is the significance of the partial width for elastic scattering in particle physics?

The partial width for elastic scattering is an important quantity in particle physics as it provides information about the fundamental interactions between particles. It is used to study the properties of particles and to test theoretical models.

4. How does the partial width for elastic scattering differ from the total width?

The partial width for elastic scattering only considers the probability of a specific type of scattering process, while the total width takes into account all possible scattering processes that can occur between the particles. The total width is typically larger than the partial width for elastic scattering.

5. Can the partial width for elastic scattering be measured experimentally?

Yes, the partial width for elastic scattering can be measured experimentally by studying the scattering processes in particle colliders or through other high-energy experiments. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the properties of particles and their interactions.