Partial sum for series, sum of cubes

In summary, the sequence of partial sums for this series is: S_1 = (-1)^{0}k^3 + (4n^3+6n^2-1)S_2 = (-1)^{1}k^3 + (4n^3+6n^2-1)S_3 = (-1)^{2}k^3 + (4n^3+6n^2-1)S_4 = (-1)^{3}k^3 + (4n^3+6n^2-1)S_5 = (-1)^{4}k^3 + (4n^3+6n
Dobsn

Homework Statement

I have this series

[itex]1^{3}-2^{3}+3^{3}-4^{3}+5^{3}-6^{3} + \ldots[/itex]

Homework Equations

and sequence of partial sums for this series that is:

[itex]S_n = \sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^{k+1} k^3 = \dfrac{1 + (-1)^n(4n^3 + 6n^2-1)}8 =\begin{cases} \dfrac{2n^3+3n^2}4; & n \text{ is even}\\ \dfrac{1-3n^2-2n^3}4; & n \text{ is odd} \end{cases}[/itex]

What I need to are finding the steps to this partial sums formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried by finding partial sums for even and odd cubes and then substracting them, but it gives wrong solution.
Odd: [itex]n^2(2n^2-1)[/itex]
Even: [itex]2n^2(n+1)^2[/itex]

Any tip appreaciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dobsn said:
I've tried by finding partial sums for even and odd cubes and then substracting them, but it gives wrong solution.
Odd: [itex]n^2(2n^2-1)[/itex]
Even: [itex]2n^2(n+1)^2[/itex]
Please post your working.

These are partial sums for even and odd numbers already:

even:
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {{2n^2(n+1)^2}}[/itex]

odd:
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {n^2(2n^2-1)}[/itex]

and substracting even from odd partial sums gets me:

[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {-4^3-3n^2}[/itex]

And that doesn't get me to:
[itex]S_n = \sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^{k+1} k^3 = \dfrac{1 + (-1)^n(4n^3 + 6n^2-1)}8 =\begin{cases} \dfrac{2n^3+3n^2}4; & n \text{ is even}\\ \dfrac{1-3n^2-2n^3}4; & n \text{ is odd} \end{cases}[/itex]

Why don't you make use of a functional equation for both the even and the odd sums, then do the subtraction? For example, you can say [itex]f(0)=0[/itex], [itex]f(x+1)=f(x)+(2x+1)^3[/itex] for the sum of the cubes of the first x odd naturals. Then, you can solve that functional equation (I hope you know how to do that?) Do the same for the even naturals, then subtract.

Dobsn said:
even:
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {{2n^2(n+1)^2}}[/itex]
odd:
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {n^2(2n^2-1)}[/itex]
and substracting even from odd partial sums gets me:
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {-4^3-3n^2}[/itex]
Presumably you meant
[itex]S_n =\sum\limits_{k=0}^n {-4n^3-3n^2}[/itex]
I assume you intended to take the difference of two consecutive sums, one odd, one even. But you appear to have taken differences using the same n. You need to use, say, 2n and 2n+1. And to complete the inductive step you will need to do 2n-1 to 2n as well.

Related to Partial sum for series, sum of cubes

What is the formula for the partial sum of a series of cubes?

The formula for the partial sum of a series of cubes is Sn = (n(n+1)/2)2, where n is the number of terms in the series.

How do you find the sum of cubes for a given series?

To find the sum of cubes for a given series, you can use the formula Sn = (n(n+1)/2)2, where n is the number of terms in the series. First, plug in the value of n to find the partial sum. Then, you can find the sum of cubes by simply squaring the partial sum.

Can the partial sum of a series of cubes be negative?

Yes, the partial sum of a series of cubes can be negative. This typically occurs when the series contains both positive and negative terms, resulting in a sum that may be negative.

What is the significance of the sum of cubes in mathematics?

The sum of cubes has various applications in mathematics, such as in finding the volume of a cube and in solving certain types of equations. It is also used in calculus for approximating the area under a curve.

Are there any real-life examples of the sum of cubes?

Yes, the sum of cubes can be seen in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the total number of cubes in a Rubik's cube, finding the total volume of stacked cubes in a container, or determining the number of cubic meters of water in a swimming pool.