Partial fractions to solve ODE's

In summary, the conversation involves using partial fractions to solve an ODE with the initial condition x(0) = 2. The correct coefficients for the partial fractions are A = -1/5 and B = 15. However, there was some confusion over the signs and the final solution is x(t) = 10/(2 + 3e^(15t)).
cue928
So I am being asked to use partial fractions to solve ODE's. In particular, I have (dx/dt) = 3x(x-5) with x(0) = 2.

I came up with A = -1/5 and B = 15.

Then, I had (1/15)*[(x-5)/(3x)] = Be^t. But this is where things break down. I thought B = -1/2. Yet the book's answer is 10/(2+3e^15t). What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
cue928 said:
So I am being asked to use partial fractions to solve ODE's. In particular, I have (dx/dt) = 3x(x-5) with x(0) = 2.

I came up with A = -1/5 and B = 15.
I get A = -1/5 and B = +1/5.

When you separate the diff. eqn., it's a little more convenient to write it as
dx/(x(x - 5)) = 3dt
rather than having a denominator of 3x(x - 5) on the left side.

I also get x(t) = 10/(2 + 3e^(15t))
cue928 said:
Then, I had (1/15)*[(x-5)/(3x)] = Be^t. But this is where things break down. I thought B = -1/2. Yet the book's answer is 10/(2+3e^15t). What am I missing?

Okay so I tried that and after using PF's and exponentiating, I get the following:
(5-x)/x = Ce^15t.

When I solve that for x, I get x = 5/(1+Ce^15t). Yikes, where am I going wrong? I ran thru it twice and still don't see where I'm missing the 3 and 10?

cue928 said:
Okay so I tried that and after using PF's and exponentiating, I get the following:
(5-x)/x = Ce^15t.
You have switched a sign somewhere. I get (x - 5)/x = Ae^(15t), which is a little different from what you got. I also found that A = -3/2.

cue928 said:
When I solve that for x, I get x = 5/(1+Ce^15t). Yikes, where am I going wrong? I ran thru it twice and still don't see where I'm missing the 3 and 10?

So I'm confused, is A=3/2 or the 1/5? I'm getting 1/5?

Sorry, I meant to write (x - 5)/x = Ce^(15t). C = - 3/2.

1/x + 1/(x - 5) = (-1/5)/x + (1/5)/(x - 5)

Related to Partial fractions to solve ODE's

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to break down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This is often done in order to solve integrals or differential equations.

2. How are partial fractions used to solve ODE's?

In order to solve an ODE using partial fractions, the ODE must first be in the form of a rational function. The ODE is then broken down into smaller fractions using partial fractions, and the resulting integrals are solved to find the solution to the ODE.

3. Can partial fractions be used for all types of ODE's?

No, partial fractions can only be used for ODE's that can be written in the form of a rational function. ODE's with trigonometric or exponential functions cannot be solved using partial fractions.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there are various methods for finding the partial fraction decomposition, such as the cover-up method, the Heaviside cover-up method, and the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when using partial fractions to solve ODE's?

Yes, if the ODE has repeated or complex roots, the partial fraction decomposition will be more complicated and may require additional steps to solve. In these cases, it is important to carefully check the final solution to ensure it is correct.