Partial Fractions problem not matching Wolfram Alpha

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial fraction problem and the attempt at finding the correct coefficients. After setting up the equations and solving them, the individual realizes that they made a mistake in their numerical calculations and is able to correct it to get the correct answer.
anniecvc

Homework Statement

∫10x-2x2/((x-1)2(x+3))

Solve by partial fractions.

The Attempt at a Solution

∫A/(x-1) +B/(x-1)2 + C(x+3)

after setting up the partial fractions and multiplying each term by LCD:

10x-2x2= A(x-1)(x+3) + B(x+3) + C(x-1)2

10x-2x2= A(x2+2x-3) +Bx+3B +Cx-C

10x-2x2= Ax2+2Ax-3A+Bx+3B+Cx-C

10x-2x2= x2(A+C) +x(2A+B-2C) + (3B+C-3A)

System of Equations:

A+C = -2
2A+B-2C=10
3B+C-3A =0

Solving these, I get A=23. B=14. C=25.

Putting them back in their partial fractions form and integrating I get:

23*lnlx-1l - 14/(x-1) + 25*lnlx+3l

However Wolfram gives me essentially the same terms but different coefficients: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+%2810x-2x%5E2%29%2F%28%28x-1%29%5E2*%28x%2B3%29%29

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not solving for A, B, and C correctly. Your equations are fine, but your numerical answers are not. You can easily see this by plugging the results you got for A and C into the first equation.

THANK YOU! Got the right answer now. Algebra...a slippery fooler.

Related to Partial Fractions problem not matching Wolfram Alpha

1. Why does my partial fractions problem not match Wolfram Alpha?

There could be a few reasons why your partial fractions problem does not match Wolfram Alpha. One possible reason is that you may have made an error in your calculations or input. Another reason could be that Wolfram Alpha has a different method of solving the problem, resulting in a different answer. It is always a good idea to double check your work and try different methods to solve the problem.

2. How can I make sure my partial fractions problem matches Wolfram Alpha?

To ensure that your partial fractions problem matches Wolfram Alpha, you can try using the same method of solving the problem as Wolfram Alpha. You can also check your work and make sure there are no errors in your calculations or input. Additionally, you can use a different online calculator or ask a colleague to solve the problem and compare your answers.

3. Can Wolfram Alpha solve all partial fractions problems?

While Wolfram Alpha is a powerful tool for solving various mathematical problems, it may not be able to solve all partial fractions problems. This could be due to the complexity of the problem or limitations of the software. If you encounter a problem that Wolfram Alpha cannot solve, you may need to use other methods or consult a math expert for assistance.

4. Why does Wolfram Alpha give a different answer for my partial fractions problem?

Wolfram Alpha uses advanced algorithms and methods to solve mathematical problems, which may differ from the methods you used to solve the problem. Additionally, Wolfram Alpha may simplify the answer or use a different form of representation. If you are unsure about the difference in answers, you can try manually simplifying the answer to match Wolfram Alpha.

5. Is Wolfram Alpha a reliable source for solving partial fractions problems?

Wolfram Alpha is a reliable source for solving various mathematical problems, including partial fractions. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and compare your answer with other sources. Additionally, if you encounter a particularly complex problem, it may be helpful to consult a math expert for confirmation.