Partial Fractions problem, need some guidance.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve for the coefficient g in the equation \frac{gx^2+1}{x^3(x-1)^2} and suggests using linear algebra to do so. It is concluded that by multiplying all of the polynomials and equating the coefficients, the values of A, B, D, and E can be found without needing to use matrices.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{gx^2+1}{x^3(x-1)^2}[/tex]

I'm trying to keep g as a coefficient, it's turning into a mess though.

The Attempt at a Solution

After I broke it down it gives:

[tex]Ax^2(x-1)^2 + Bx(x-1)^2 + C(x-1)^2 + Dx^3(x-1) + Ex^3 = gx^2 + 1[/tex]

After using x =1, everything goes away and I'm left with E = g + 1.

Then I used x = 0, which gave C = 1.

After that, I'm stuck. At this point I wish I knew more about linear algebra. Is there anyway to do this without going nuts with matrices? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would multiply all of the polynomials out and equate the coefficients on both sides.

For instance, after multiplying all of the polynomials, you will see an Ax4 term and a Dx4 term. Since there is no x4 term on the RHS you can say that
A + D = 0.

You'll come up with four more equations, one of which you already got (C = 1). You can then find the remaining values of A, B, D, and E via substitution. No matrices needed! :wink:

Related to Partial Fractions problem, need some guidance.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to break down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions. This is helpful in solving integration problems or simplifying equations.

2. When do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used when we have a rational function with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator. By breaking it down into simpler fractions, we can solve for unknown coefficients and simplify the expression.

3. How do we solve partial fractions?

To solve partial fractions, we first factor the denominator of the rational expression. Then, we set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each term in the numerator and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, we plug these coefficients back into the original expression and simplify.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Proper fractions have a smaller degree in the numerator than in the denominator, while improper fractions have a larger degree in the numerator than in the denominator.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving partial fractions?

Some common mistakes when solving partial fractions include not factoring the denominator correctly, setting up the wrong equations for the unknown coefficients, and making errors when solving the equations. It is important to double check all steps and simplify the final expression to ensure accuracy.