Partial Fractions: Is My Set Up Right?

In summary, the conversation is about partial fractions and the correctness of their setup. The setup is confirmed to be correct, but there is some uncertainty about the value of A. The person speaking will go back and solve for A again, believing it to be -10/9. They mention that their Laplace transform may have been wrong, causing some confusion about the correctness of their partial fractions.
cragar

Homework Statement

partial fractions

(-x^2+x+3)/((x-2)^2(x+1)) = A/(x-2) + B/((x-2)^2) + C/(x+1)

is my partial fractions set up right

A= -1/9 B = 1/3 C=1/9

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question, or...?

The setup looks right. I'm not so sure about your value for A though.

ok so the setup is right , i will go back through and solve for A again.
i think A=-10/9

Last edited:
cragar said:
ok so the setup is right , i will go back through and solve for A again.
i think A=-10/9

Much better.

ya i guess my laplace transform was wrong if my partial fractions are right or my book is wrong .

Related to Partial Fractions: Is My Set Up Right?

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to simplify and solve complex fraction expressions. It involves breaking down a single fraction into smaller, simpler fractions.

2. Why is it important to set up partial fractions correctly?

Setting up partial fractions correctly is important because it ensures that the solution to the original fraction is accurate. Incorrect set up can lead to incorrect solutions and errors in calculations.

3. How do I know if my set up for partial fractions is right?

To check if your set up for partial fractions is correct, you can perform the reverse process and combine the smaller fractions back into the original fraction. If the fractions cancel out and equal the original fraction, then your set up is correct.

4. What are some common mistakes when setting up partial fractions?

Some common mistakes when setting up partial fractions include not factoring the original denominator completely, incorrectly writing the coefficients of the smaller fractions, and forgetting to include all necessary terms in the set up.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of setting up partial fractions?

One helpful tip for setting up partial fractions is to make sure all terms in the original fraction are in standard form, with the highest degree of the variable written first. This can make the factoring process easier and reduce the chances of making mistakes.