Partial Fractions: Exponent on Denominator Explained

In summary: I was trying to do a shortcut, but it doesn't work. I have to actually solve for A and B. Thanks everyone for your help!In summary, the equation for partial fractions has a squared term in the denominator because of the decomposition process, where a repeated factor in the denominator results in the higher powers being seen in the decomposition. This means that in order to solve for A and B, the equation must be solved for each individual constant. A shortcut method does not work in this situation.
xeon123
In partial fractions, why

[itex]\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

and not
[itex]\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

Why exists the exponent on the denominator in the right hand side of the equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xeon123 said:

[itex]\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

and not
[itex]\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

Why exists the exponent on the denominator in the right hand side of the equation?

Well, [itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)}=\frac{A+B}{1+2x}=\frac{C}{1+2x}[/itex] , with C a consant, and this clearly cannot equal the original

expression since then we don't have a square in the denominator...

DonAntonio

1 - So, why [itex]\frac{B}{1-2x}[/itex] doesn't have an exponent of 2 in the denominator ([itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex])?

2 - I also have a basic question related to your reply. Why
[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A+B}{(1+2x)}[/itex] and not [itex]\frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

Last edited:
xeon123 said:
1 - So, why [itex]\frac{B}{1-2x}[/itex] doesn't have an exponent of 2 in the denominator ([itex]\frac{B}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex])?

*** Things get in order when you add this fraction to the first one, which has a square in the denominator, and then you

do common denominator to both fractions. ****

2 - I also have a basic question related to your reply. Why
[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A+B}{(1+2x)}[/itex] and not [itex]\frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]

That was only a mistake of mine: I wrote + instead of - .

DonAntonio

I'm trying to solve the equation, but I get different values:

[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A(1-2x)}{(1-2x)^3} + \frac{B(1-2x)^2}{(1-2x)^3} = \frac{(1-2x)(A+B(1-2x))}{(1-2x)^3} = \frac{A+B(1-2x)}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex]

from this point forward I can't put this fraction to be like [itex]\frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex], I think...

xeon123 said:
I'm trying to solve the equation, but I get different values:

[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A(1-2x)}{(1-2x)^3} + \frac{B(1-2x)^2}{(1-2x)^3} = \frac{(1-2x)(A+B(1-2x))}{(1-2x)^3} = \frac{A+B(1-2x)}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex]

from this point forward I can't put this fraction to be like [itex]\frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex], I think...

Of course you can't. What makes you think you could? The original expression is a rational function

with denominator's degree equal to 2, and in the last line above you wrote a rational fraction with denominator's

degree equal to 1...of course they can't be equal.

DonAntonio

So, how can both expressions be equal?

[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]?

And, how do I know that
[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] ?

Last edited:
xeon123 said:
So, how can both expressions be equal?

[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{A+B}{(1-2x)}[/itex]?}

*** Who said they are? ***

And, how do I know that
[itex]\frac{A}{(1-2x)^2} + \frac{B}{(1-2x)} = \frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}[/itex] ?

You can use the procedure to decompose in partial fractions: you have to know that it is possible to write

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2} =\frac{A}{1-2x}+\frac{B}{(1-2x)^2}\,,\,\,A\,,\,B\,\,}[/itex] constants. Now multiply through by the common denominator:

[itex]\displaystyle{ 3x+5=A(1-2x)+B\,\,}[/itex] . This is a polynomial identity so you can compare particular values of x in both sides and/or

coefficients of powers of x to find out the values of the constants A,B. For example:

The coefficient in both sides of [itex]\,\,\displaystyle{x: 3=-2A\Longrightarrow\,A=-\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] , and now the free coefficient

in both sides: [itex]\displaystyle{5=A+B\Longrightarrow B=5-A=5-\left(-\frac{3}{2}\right)=\frac{13}{2}\,\,}[/itex] , so

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{3x+5}{(1-2x)^2}=-\frac{3}{2(1-2x)}+\frac{13}{2(1-2x)^2}}[/itex] , which you can easily check...

DonAntonio

Have you ever actually taken an algebra course? If so you should be able to do the sum on the left and see that it does, in fact, give the right side.

xeon123 said:

and not

As DonAntonio pointed out, the reason it's not the second one is because the second one doesn't work. The next section on Wikipedia describes the general decomposition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_fraction#Over_the_reals

In particular, if you work it out you should be able to see that a repeated factor in the denominator results in the higher powers being seen in the decomposition.

Thanks, now I got it.

Related to Partial Fractions: Exponent on Denominator Explained

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are an algebraic method used to simplify and decompose a rational function into smaller, simpler fractions. This technique is commonly used in integration, solving differential equations, and simplifying complex algebraic expressions.

2. What is an exponent on the denominator in a partial fraction?

An exponent on the denominator in a partial fraction refers to a term in the denominator of a rational function that is raised to a power. This can complicate the decomposition process, but with the proper techniques, it can be simplified into smaller fractions.

3. How do I solve for the coefficients in a partial fraction with an exponent on the denominator?

To solve for the coefficients in a partial fraction with an exponent on the denominator, you will need to use a systematic approach of equating corresponding coefficients of the original rational expression and the decomposed fractions. This involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the unknown coefficients using algebraic methods.

4. Can I use partial fractions with any rational function?

Yes, partial fractions can be used to simplify any rational function, including those with exponents on the denominator. However, the process may become more complex depending on the degree of the polynomial in the numerator and denominator.

5. How are partial fractions used in integration?

Partial fractions are commonly used in integration to simplify complex rational functions before applying integration techniques. This allows for easier integration and can also help to identify and solve for unknown constants in the integration process.