Partial fractions before Inverse Laplace

You should be able to substitute those values into the equation you wrote for Y(s), and then find y(t) by taking the inverse Laplace transform of Y(s).In summary, the problem involves a lowpass circuit transformed to the S-domain and exposed to a unit step. The transfer function of the circuit is given and the function of the unit step is known. The goal is to convert the transient response to the time domain, which involves finding the inverse Laplace transform. The approach involves using partial fractions and solving for constants to simplify the equation before converting back to the time domain.
Twinflower

Homework Statement

I have this lowpass circuit which I have transformed to the S-domain.
The circuit is to be exposed to a unit step, and then I shall convert the transient response to the time domain.

Here's the transfer function of the lowpass circuit:

[tex]H(s) = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{1}{LC} = 1000000[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{RC} = 0,001415[/itex]

The function of the unit step is
[tex]x(t)=1 --> X(s) = \frac{1}{s}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
Y(s) = H(s) * X(s)
[/tex]

[tex]
Y(s) = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}} * \frac{1}{s}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, my problem is that I have great difficulties "arranging" the equation before converting it back to the time domain.
I know that it involves some partial fractions and some unknows (A, B, C and so forth), but even though I have studied the relevant subject in my textbook, I can't f*cking do it.

I'll show you what I got so far (wrong as it may be)

[tex]
1: \frac{A}{s} * \frac{B}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}} = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s*(s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}})
[/tex]

[tex]
2: A*(s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}) + Bs = 1
[/tex]

I feel that I'am wondering in the dark, so if someone could point me in the right direction or even shed some light over what I am doing and how I am suppose to do it I would be very very happy :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Twinflower said:

Homework Statement

I have this lowpass circuit which I have transformed to the S-domain.
The circuit is to be exposed to a unit step, and then I shall convert the transient response to the time domain.

Here's the transfer function of the lowpass circuit:

[tex]H(s) = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{1}{LC} = 1000000[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{RC} = 0,001415[/itex]

The function of the unit step is
[tex]x(t)=1 --> X(s) = \frac{1}{s}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
Y(s) = H(s) * X(s)
[/tex]

[tex]
Y(s) = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}} * \frac{1}{s}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, my problem is that I have great difficulties "arranging" the equation before converting it back to the time domain.
I know that it involves some partial fractions and some unknows (A, B, C and so forth), but even though I have studied the relevant subject in my textbook, I can't f*cking do it.

I'll show you what I got so far (wrong as it may be)

[tex]
1: \frac{A}{s} * \frac{B}{s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}} = \frac{\frac{1}{LC}}{s*(s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}})
[/tex]

[tex]
2: A*(s^2 + s \frac{1}{RC} + \frac{1}{LC}) + Bs = 1
[/tex]

I feel that I'am wondering in the dark, so if someone could point me in the right direction or even shed some light over what I am doing and how I am suppose to do it I would be very very happy :)

Let's simplify things a bit by writing what you have as
$$Y(s) = \frac{b}{s(s^2 + as + b)}$$

Here a = 1/(RC) and b = 1/(LC)

The decomposition you need to use depends on whether s2 + as + b has real factors or is an irreducible quadratic.

If s2 + as + b can be factored into (s - r1)(s - r2), then Y(s) can be decomposed like this:
$$Y(s) = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B}{s - r_1} + \frac{C}{s - r_2}$$

A, B, and C are constants; C is unrelated to the capacitance C of the problem.

If s2 + as + b is an irreducible quadratic, then the decomposition goes like this:
$$Y(s) = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 + as + b} $$

Whichever form is applicable, the idea is to solve for the constants A, B, and C, so that you can more easily find the inverse Laplace transform, resulting in y(t).

I should mention that a and b are different from A and B.

Ok, thanks.

The demoninator is irreducible quadratic.

I am working may way further now and I'll get back when/if it stops

OK, I am officially stuck - again.

I am looking at the below example, but I can't figure out where the numbers in the red squares comes from (10, 13, 60).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-sl9wXn3g43b3FadGg1VUU1X2s Edit: Ok, I guess the number 10 is the numerator in F(s) and 13 is the last part of the equation in the denominator. That leaves "60". Where the hell comes that from?

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers in the red squares are actually 10/13, -10/13, and -60/13.

Starting with
$$\frac{10}{s(s^2 + 6s + 13)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{Bs + C}{s^2 + 6s + 13}$$

multiply both sides by s(s2 + 6s + 13).

That gives you
10 = A(s2 + 6s + 13) + s(Bs + C)

This equation is actually an identity that must hold for all values of s, other than the three that make the denominators zero in the original equation.

Solve for A, B, and C, and you should get 10/13, -10/13, and -60/13, respectively, assuming the work in the photo you sent is correct.

Related to Partial fractions before Inverse Laplace

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions is a method used to simplify complex rational expressions into smaller, more manageable fractions. It involves breaking down the expression into simpler fractions with unique denominators.

2. How is partial fractions used in mathematics?

Partial fractions are often used in integration, where they help to simplify integrals that involve rational functions. They can also be used in solving differential equations, particularly when using the Laplace transform.

3. What is the process for finding partial fractions?

The process for finding partial fractions involves factoring the denominator of a rational expression, setting up equations with unknown coefficients for each term, and then solving for those coefficients through various methods, such as equating coefficients or using simultaneous equations.

4. What is the relationship between partial fractions and the Inverse Laplace transform?

Partial fractions and the Inverse Laplace transform are closely related as they are often used together in solving differential equations. Partial fractions help to simplify the integrals that are involved in the Inverse Laplace transform, making it easier to find the solution to the differential equation.

5. Can partial fractions be applied to all rational expressions?

Yes, partial fractions can be applied to all rational expressions, as long as the denominator can be factored into linear or quadratic terms. If the denominator cannot be factored, the expression is already in its simplest form and does not require partial fractions.