Partial fraction decomposition with complex function

In summary, the speaker is trying to manipulate the expression e^(icx)/(x^2 + a^2)^2 for a project, and wants to decompose it into the form A/(x^2 + a^2) + B/(x^2 + a^2) = e^(icx)/(x^2 + a^2)^2. However, they are having trouble getting a usable outcome and it is not possible to do so as the function is a transcendental function and cannot be expressed as a sum of fractions. They suggest using Laplace's transform to solve the problem.
thayin
As part of a project I have been working on I fin it necessary to manipulate the following expression.

e^(icx)/(x^2 + a^2)^2 for a,c > 0

I would like to decomp it into the form

A/(x^2 + a^2) + B/(x^2 + a^2) = e^(icx)/(x^2 + a^2)^2

but I am having trouble getting a usable outcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
thayin said:
As part of a project I have been working on I fin it necessary to manipulate the following expression.

You need to apply laplace's transform to this to solve for this. you have the write set up, BUT

A/(x^2+a^2) + B/((x^2+a^2)^2), look up laplace transforms and do it as so... you can solve it then.

Yus310

thayin said:

No wonder you're having problems: it can't be done, as your function is a transcendental function (i.e., [tex]e^{icx}[/tex] is NOT a polynomial, whereas the sum of fractions you want is a rational function.

DonAntonio

Related to Partial fraction decomposition with complex function

1. What is partial fraction decomposition with complex function?

Partial fraction decomposition with complex function is a method used in mathematics to break down a rational function into simpler components. It is particularly useful when dealing with complex numbers, as it allows for easier manipulation and solution of equations.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition with complex function used?

This method is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and other areas of mathematics where rational functions are encountered. It is also frequently used in engineering and physics to solve equations involving complex numbers.

3. How does partial fraction decomposition with complex function work?

The process involves breaking down a rational function into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This is done by finding the roots of the denominator and expressing the original function as a sum of these simpler fractions. The coefficients of these fractions can then be solved for using algebraic methods.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition with complex function?

Partial fraction decomposition with complex function allows for the simplification of complex equations, making them easier to solve. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of rational functions, which can be useful in various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition with complex function?

One limitation is that this method can only be applied to rational functions, meaning that the numerator and denominator must be polynomials. It also requires knowledge of complex numbers and algebraic techniques, which may be challenging for some individuals.