Partial differentiation question

In summary, the speaker is seeking clarification on their university assignment, specifically on the stationary points which they found to be at x=-2, x=2, y=-1, and y=1. They explain their method of finding these points and express their difficulty with the second part of the question which involves using the quotient rule. They also mention a possible error in the content with a vertical line segment in the numerator.
VooDoo
Hi guys,

I have the following question for a uni assignment, I have done part A and found the stationary points to be at

x=-2 x = 2
y=-1 y=1

Not sure if it is correct though.

I did this by using finding the partial derivatives using the quoitent rule, then making the partial derivatives equal to zero and solving for x and y. Now the second part of the question asks to find the second order DE, which would be an absolute pain to do using the quoitent rule. I am really, really lost guys. :cry:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever does the vertical line segment in the numerator signify??

arildno said:
Whatever does the vertical line segment in the numerator signify??
i think its a full stop that shouldn't be there

Related to Partial differentiation question

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

What is the purpose of partial differentiation?

The purpose of partial differentiation is to understand how a function changes when one of its variables changes, while keeping the other variables constant. It is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze complex systems.

How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves finding the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. In ordinary differentiation, we find the derivative of a single variable function with respect to that variable.

What are the common notations used in partial differentiation?

The most commonly used notations in partial differentiation are ∂ (pronounced "del") and ∂y/∂x (pronounced "partial y by partial x"). These notations indicate that we are taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to the given variable.

What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is used in a variety of fields such as economics to analyze demand and supply functions, in physics to understand the behavior of complex systems, and in engineering to optimize processes and systems.