Partial Differentiation of this Equation in x and y

Martyn Arthur
Homework Statement
Trying to get to fxx
Relevant Equations
Please see screen print
Hi;
please see below I am trying to understand how to get to the 2 final functions. They should be the same but 6 for the first one and 2 for the second?
(I hope my writing is more clear than previously)
There is an additional question below.
thanks
martyn
1707919506461.png

I can't find a standard derivative for cos^2 theta?

Physics news on Phys.org
Martyn Arthur said:

Use the chain rule.

Please show your work and don’t simply post images of your result. Type out your work.

Your two first partials are correct, but your notation isn't.
These aren't f(x) and f(y) as you wrote. They are ##f_x(x, y)## and ##f_y(x,y)## respectively. They can also be written more compactly as ##f_x## and ##f_y##.
Martyn Arthur said:
It might be helpful to think of this as ##(\cos(\theta))^2## and then use the chain rule, as @pasmith recommended.

Orodruin said:
Please show your work and don’t simply post images of your result. Type out your work.
I agree. In the lower left corner, click on the link that says "LaTeX Guide." A few minutes spent reading that will be very helpful.

Martyn Arthur said:
Homework Statement: Trying to get to fxx
Relevant Equations: Please see screen print

Hi;
please see below I am trying to understand how to get to the 2 final functions. They should be the same but 6 for the first one and 2 for the second?
No. Why are you saying that?

If you can solve that ##f_x(x,y) = 6x-2y-10## then I'm sure that you can calculate ##f_{x,y}(x,y)##. It's simply the derivative of ##6x-2y-10## with respect to ##y##.
Do something similar for ##f_{y,x}##.

Related to Partial Differentiation of this Equation in x and y

1. How do you find the partial derivative of an equation in terms of x?

To find the partial derivative of an equation in terms of x, you differentiate the equation with respect to x while treating all other variables as constants.

2. How do you find the partial derivative of an equation in terms of y?

To find the partial derivative of an equation in terms of y, you differentiate the equation with respect to y while treating all other variables as constants.

3. What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. Ordinary differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable.

4. Why is partial differentiation important in mathematics and science?

Partial differentiation is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to different variables. This is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

5. Can you provide an example of partial differentiation in a real-world application?

Sure! In economics, partial differentiation is used to analyze how changes in one variable, such as price, affect other variables, such as demand or supply. This helps economists make predictions and decisions based on the relationships between these variables.