Partial Derivatives: Solve Homework Quickly

In summary, the trick is to recognize that the partial derivative is a linear operator, that is, the partial derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the partial derivatives of the individual terms:
Adeel Ahmad

Homework Statement

upload_2016-11-8_20-24-17.png

So I know I have to take the derivative with respect to x, then respect to y, then respect to z, but I am not getting the right answer. I know that the answer is 0 and my professor did it with very few steps that I do not understand. Can someone please guide me through it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to recognize that the partial derivative is a linear operator, that is, the partial derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the partial derivatives of the individual terms:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( f + g \right) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} [/tex]
Try splitting ##f(x,y,z)## into two parts, take the partial derivatives separately and see where that leads you.

So if I take the partial derivative wrt x and the result has no x term what does that mean?

Adeel Ahmad said:
So if I take the partial derivative wrt x and the result has no x term what does that mean?
Could you provide an explicit example of what you're trying to ask?

Fightfish said:
Could you provide an explicit example of what you're trying to ask?
So I split the function like you said and I got xln(y100+37z11 / xz rad(y2+1 and when I take the partial derivative of that term wrt x, x is no longer in that term

The partial derivative means to take all other variables as constants - what happens when you differentiate a constant?

Fightfish said:
The partial derivative means to take all other variables as constants - what happens when you differentiate a constant?
I did take the other variables as constant. I'm saying that by keeping everything constant but x, the x term differentiates to 1 if you look at the function.

Adeel Ahmad said:
I did take the other variables as constant. I'm saying that by keeping everything constant but x, the x term differentiates to 1 if you look at the function.
How does it "differentiate to ##1##"? Take a closer look at it:
[tex]\frac{x \ln(y^{100} + 37z^{11})}{x z \sqrt{y^2 +1}} = \frac{\ln(y^{100} + 37z^{11})}{z \sqrt{y^2 +1}} [/tex]
is independent of ##x##. So what happens when you take the partial derivative wrt ##x##?

Isn't that what you would get if you differentiate with respect to x?

Adeel Ahmad said:
Isn't that what you would get if you differentiate with respect to x?
No, I haven't differentiated - take a closer look: all I did was to divide both the numerator and denominator by ##x##.

So that differentiates to 0 then

Adeel Ahmad said:
So that differentiates to 0 then
Yup. Now look at the second term and see if you notice something similar.

So for the second term, differentiating to z is 0 as well

Yup. So immediately we conclude that ##f_{xyz}## is indeed ##0##.

Fightfish said:
Yup. So immediately we conclude that ##f_{xyz}## is indeed ##0##.
But we haven't taken the partial derivative wrt y. Don't you have to go in order taking the partial derivative of x, y, then z?

Adeel Ahmad said:
But we haven't taken the partial derivative wrt y. Don't you have to go in order taking the partial derivative of x, y, then z?
For a suitably well-behaved function, it doesn't matter - as the hint to the question itself explicitly says. Even if you wanted to "go in order", notice that if I had a function that depends only on ##x## and ##y## but not ##z##, when I perform the partial derivatives wrt ##x## and ##y##, I will still end up with a result that is independent of ##z## i.e. I won't have a ##z## suddenly appearing in my expression. So in the end, when I take the partial derivative wrt ##z##, it will still be ##0##.

I think my confusion lies in splitting the function into two parts. So for the first part of the function differentiating wrt x gives 0 but that's not the case for the second part of the function. Why do I ignore that second part for x?

Like, wouldn't I differentiate the entire function in terms of x?

Adeel Ahmad said:
Like, wouldn't I differentiate the entire function in terms of x?
What we are actually doing by splitting is to evaluate separately and then add the result together.
Suppose we split a function ##f(x,y,z)## into two parts, say
[tex]f(x,y,z) = g(x,y,z) + h(x,y,z)[/tex]
Then, because partial derivation is linear, we have
[tex]f_{xyz} = g_{xyz} + h_{xyz}[/tex]
so we can find ##g_{xyz}## and ##h_{xyz}## separately and combine the results to get ##f_{xyz}##.

Ohh ok I got it now. Thank you so much for bearing with me.

Related to Partial Derivatives: Solve Homework Quickly

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. How do I solve partial derivatives quickly?

To solve partial derivatives quickly, you can use the basic rules of differentiation such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with common partial derivatives and their corresponding formulas.

3. What are some tips for solving partial derivatives efficiently?

Some tips for solving partial derivatives efficiently include:

• Understanding the concept of partial derivatives and how they differ from ordinary derivatives
  • Identifying which variable you are taking the derivative with respect to
  • Simplifying the expression before differentiating
  • Using the chain rule to differentiate composite functions
  • Practicing regularly to improve speed and accuracy

4. When are partial derivatives used in real life?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables. They are also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve partial derivatives?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the functionality to calculate partial derivatives. However, it is important to understand the concept and be able to solve them by hand before relying on a calculator. Additionally, some problems may require you to take multiple partial derivatives, which can be time-consuming on a calculator.