Partial Derivatives: Proving Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where it is required to prove a given equation using partial derivatives. The attempt at a solution involves using the chain rule and solving for the partial derivatives of the function. However, the solution is not yet clear and there is a need for further steps to be taken.
LeifEricson

Homework Statement

Given:
[tex]\varphi(t)[/tex] – differentiable function.
[tex]z=z(x,y)[/tex] – differentiable function.

And there is the following equation:

[tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = \varphi (ax+by+cz)[/tex]

where [tex]a,b,c[/tex] are constants,

Prove that:

[tex](cy - bz)\cdot \frac {\partial z}{\partial x} + (az-cx)\cdot \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = bx - ay [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take partial derivatives of both sides with respect to x and then with respect to y. But I don't know how to differentiate the right-hand side of the equation.
Also if I did, what should I had done next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first things first: do you know the chain rule?

In your case, it says that
[tex]\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial x}[/tex]
and similarly for y. Use that on the right side and see what you get. (I'm not sure the solution will pop out of that but it is probably worth trying, at least)

Yep, I know that chain rule. We get:

[tex] 2x + 2z \frac{ \partial z }{ \partial x } = \frac{ \partial \varphi } { \partial t } \left( a + c \cdot \frac{ \partial z }{ \partial x } \right) [/tex]

and:

[tex] 2y + 2z \frac{ \partial z }{ \partial y } = \frac{ \partial \varphi } { \partial t } \left( b + c \cdot \frac{ \partial z }{ \partial y } \right) [/tex]

From here I have no idea how to continue. What should I do?

Hint: You did the hard part already! :)

Spoiler below:

Solve each equation for [tex]\frac{ \partial \varphi } { \partial t } [/tex] and ...

What do you mean to solve the equation "for" something?
I suppose I could isolate the [tex] \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial t}[/tex] if I knew it's multiplier wasn't zero...

Edit:
I did that. It leads to nothing.
It's obvious that I miss something obvious but after a week on this problem and a dead-line of 2 days ahead, I am in doubt I could solve it.

Last edited:

Related to Partial Derivatives: Proving Homework Statement

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are mathematical tools used in multivariable calculus to measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. They are denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial") and are similar to ordinary derivatives, but with multiple variables involved.

2. How do you prove a partial derivative?

To prove a partial derivative, you need to use the definition of a partial derivative, which is the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the variable approaches zero. You then simplify the expression and evaluate the limit to obtain the partial derivative. This process is similar to proving an ordinary derivative, but with multiple variables involved.

3. Can you give an example of proving a partial derivative?

For example, if we have the function f(x,y) = x^2 + 3xy + y^2 and we want to find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we start by writing out the definition of the partial derivative: ∂f/∂x = lim(h→0) [(f(x+h,y) - f(x,y)) / h]. We then substitute in the function and simplify to get ∂f/∂x = 2x + 3y. This is the partial derivative of f with respect to x.

4. What is the purpose of proving partial derivatives?

The purpose of proving partial derivatives is to be able to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a multivariable function at a specific point. This is useful in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where functions often depend on multiple variables. Partial derivatives also play a key role in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of functions in different directions.

5. Are partial derivatives used in real-life applications?

Yes, partial derivatives are used in many real-life applications, from calculating the slope of a tangent line to a surface, to optimizing production processes in businesses, to understanding the behavior of weather patterns. They are a fundamental tool in multivariable calculus and have numerous practical applications in various fields.