Partial Derivatives of f(r,a,b) and Solving for r,a,b in Terms of x,y,z

In summary, the partial derivatives of f'_y are: -J((F,G,H)/(x,y,z)))/J((F,G,H)/(x,f,z)) for x,y,z in terms of f,g,h.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
im given the function f(r,a,b) and z=rcos(a) y=rsin(a)sin(b) x=rsin(a)cos(b)
now i need to find the partial derivative of f'_y, without solving r,a,b in terms of x,y,z, what that i got is:
f'_y=f'_a*a'_y+f'_r*r'_y+f'_b*b'_y
the answer should include the derivatives of f wrt r,a,b, which i think i did ok, (i only needed to calculate a'_y,b'_y,r'_y).
but i have another question and it's to solve r,a,b in terms of x,y,z which i did, and then to calculate the above derivative directly by the chain rule.
i think i need to use here a jacobian, so i defined the implicit functions: F=z-rcos(a) G=y-rsin(a)sin(b) H=x-rsin(a)cos(b), my proble is that in order to calclualte it: i need to know what's f, cause:
f'_y=-J((F,G,H)/(x,y,z))/J((F,G,H)/(x,f,z))
the question is how to do it?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
cant u use chain rule?

You would use the Jacobian in changing variables in integration.

To differentiate in different variables, use the chain rule.

so how would i calclulate the derivatives of:
f'_a f'_r and f'_b, i mean after i solved for a,r,b in terms of x,y,z:
f'_y=f'_r*r'_y+f'_a*a'_y+f'_b*b'_y
and
f'_r=f'_x*x'_r+f'_y*y'_r+f'_z*z'_r
and then to substitue f'_r in the first equation and this way also to do with f'_b and f'_a, is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

And it is easy to see that [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/itex], [itex]b= arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/itex], and [itex]a= arctan(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{z}[/itex].

Related to Partial Derivatives of f(r,a,b) and Solving for r,a,b in Terms of x,y,z

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, holding all other variables constant. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point.

2. How is a partial derivative of f(r,a,b) calculated?

The partial derivative of f(r,a,b) with respect to a variable x can be calculated by treating all other variables as constants and using the standard derivative formula for single-variable functions.

3. How do you solve for r, a, and b in terms of x, y, and z?

To solve for r, a, and b in terms of x, y, and z, you can use the chain rule to take the partial derivative of each variable with respect to the other variables, and then set up a system of equations to solve for the desired variables.

4. Can the partial derivatives of a function be used to find the maximum or minimum values of the function?

Yes, the partial derivatives can be used to find the critical points of the function, which can then be evaluated to determine if they correspond to a maximum or minimum value.

5. Are partial derivatives used in any real-world applications?

Yes, partial derivatives are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to model and analyze complex systems and relationships between variables.