Partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors

In summary, The speaker is using rotation vectors, also known as SORA rotations, to avoid gimbal lock in 3D rotations. These variables are used in a least-squares optimization algorithm that requires partial derivatives. The speaker is looking for a function D(a, b) that maps a "delta" rotation vector from rotation vector a to rotation vector b. They are currently considering converting the rotation vectors to rotation quaternions and then back to rotation vectors. They are looking for the limit of D(r, r + ax) / x for various axis-vectors a. This problem is related to physics simulation and kinematics solving. Ultimately, the limit's value is a rotation of the axis-vector a by -r/2, reflecting
Jellyf15h
I am utilitizing rotation vectors (or SORA rotations if you care to call them that) as a means of splitting 3D rotations into three scalar orthogonal variables which are impervious to gimbal lock. (see SO(3))

These variables are exposed to a least-squares optimization algorithm which requires partial derivatives for each function and variable in the system. My optimized functions are all based on object positions, so the derivative I'm computing based on these variables takes the form of a "delta" transformation, of which one component is a rotation vector.

I know I need a function D(a, b) which defines a "delta" rotation vector mapping from the rotation space of rotation vector a to that of rotation vector b. One way to derive it is to convert a and b to rotation quaternions qa and qb, and convert qa-1qb back to a rotation vector. This seems roundabout, but perhaps I'm foolish to dismiss it.

Given a (hopefully) simplified D, the current rotation r and an axis-vector a I need to compute the limit:

limx→0 D(r, r + ax) / x

I'm interested in these limits for a = (1, 0, 0), a = (0, 1, 0) and a = (0, 0, 1).

The application area is physics simulation and kinematics solving; I'm trying to find the optimal rotation for an object based on various potentially conflicting goals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the benefit of anyone else who might encounter this problem I ended up discerning that the limit's value takes the form of a rotation of the axis-vector a by -r/2.

Interestingly, this reflects the quaternion double-cover property as it doesn't repeat until the radius-2∏ shell of SO(3).

Related to Partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors

1. How do you calculate partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors?

The partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors can be calculated using a mathematical technique called the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the rotation matrix with respect to each of the three rotation angles (pitch, roll, and yaw) and then multiplying them by the partial derivatives of the rotation matrix elements with respect to the rotation angles.

2. What are the applications of partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors?

Partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors are commonly used in computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics. They are used to describe the orientation of objects in 3D space and to calculate how they change over time. This information is useful for tasks such as animation, object tracking, and robot motion planning.

3. Can partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors be used to rotate objects in 3D space?

No, partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors are not used for direct rotation of objects in 3D space. They are used to calculate the change in orientation of an object over time, but not to directly rotate the object. To rotate an object, you would need to use the rotation matrix or quaternion derived from the rotation vector.

4. Are partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors dependent on the order of rotation?

Yes, the order of rotation does affect the partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors. This is because the rotation matrix and its elements are different for different orders of rotation. Therefore, the partial derivatives will also be different depending on the order of rotation.

5. How do partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors relate to Euler angles?

Partial derivatives of 3D rotation vectors and Euler angles are closely related, as both are used to describe the orientation of objects in 3D space. However, Euler angles are not as mathematically convenient as rotation vectors, and the partial derivatives of Euler angles can be more difficult to calculate. In some cases, rotation vectors may be converted to Euler angles for easier interpretation, but this can lead to issues such as gimbal lock.