Partial Derivatives Homework: Find Sum of Second Partials

In summary, the second partial derivative of u with respect to x, y, and z is -(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) + 3x^2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-5/2) for x, y, and z, respectively. The answer can also be expressed as 3/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(5/2) - 1/(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(3/2).
wilcofan3

Homework Statement

Let [tex]u= (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-1} {2}[/tex]

Find [tex]\frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial x^2} + \frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial y^2} + \frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial z^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial x^2} = -(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^\frac {-3} {2} + 3x^2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-5} {2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial y^2} = -(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^\frac {-3} {2} + 3y^2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-5} {2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {\partial^2 u} {\partial z^2} = -(x^2 + y^2 +z^2)^\frac {-3} {2} + 3z^2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-5} {2}[/tex]

So I think all the partials are right, but I feel like I'm getting a crazy answer when I add them together.

[tex]3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-5} {2} -3(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^\frac {-3} {2}[/tex]

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that's crazy? It looks correct to me. But you can express the answer in a much simpler form.

here's the MATLAB quick code for the first step - finding d^2/dx^2:

>> syms u; syms y; syms z;
>> u = 1/sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)

u =

1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(1/2)

>> diff(u,x)

ans =

-1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(3/2)*x

>> diff(ans,x)

ans =

3/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(5/2)*x^2-1/(x^2+y^2+z^2)^(3/2)

Related to Partial Derivatives Homework: Find Sum of Second Partials

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are the derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. They represent the rate of change of a function in a specific direction.

2. How do I find partial derivatives?

To find a partial derivative, treat all other variables as constants and differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest. This results in a new function that represents the partial derivative.

3. Why do we need to find the sum of second partials?

The sum of second partials is used to determine the type of critical point in a multivariable function. This information is important in optimization problems and to classify the nature of the critical point as a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

4. Can I use the chain rule to find partial derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to find partial derivatives of composite functions. However, it is important to remember to treat all other variables as constants when differentiating with respect to a specific variable.

5. How can I check my work when finding the sum of second partials?

You can check your work by using the second derivative test, which involves taking the second derivative of the original function with respect to each variable and evaluating it at the critical point. This will give you information about the nature of the critical point.