Partial Derivatives: Finding fy for (e^0.16)/(1+e^-0.3y)

In summary, the task is to find the derivative of (e^0.16)/(1+e^-0.3y) and the attempt at a solution involves taking the derivative of the bottom and simplifying, which is incorrect. The correct approach is to use substitution and the chain rule.
MathNoob123

Homework Statement

(e^0.16)/(1+e^-0.3y)
I am suppose to find the fy
of this

Homework Equations

A bit trickier than the last prob i posted

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did:
Since (e^0.16) is a constant, I left it just like that and took the derivative of e(-0.3y)

my outcome: (e^-0.16)/(-0.3e^-0.3y)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just take the derivative of the bottom and leave it like that. That's equivalent to saying that the derivative of 1/f is 1/f', which is false. First of all, find the derivative of 1/x. Now use substitution and the chain rule.

Related to Partial Derivatives: Finding fy for (e^0.16)/(1+e^-0.3y)

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate how a function changes when only one of its variables is altered while keeping the other variables constant.

Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in response to different variables, and are essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics and economics.

How are partial derivatives calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative, one must take the derivative of the function with respect to the specific variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative only considers changes in one variable, while a total derivative takes into account changes in all variables simultaneously. In other words, a total derivative is the sum of all partial derivatives of a function.

What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as optimization problems, thermodynamics, and risk management in finance. They are also used in computer science for image and signal processing.