Partial Derivatives: Express vx from u,v in x,y

In summary, we can express vx in terms of u and v by differentiating the given equations and solving for vx through substitution and elimination. The final expression for vx is (1 - x')/((v^2 + y' * v)/v).
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

(Q) Express vx in terms of u an v if the equations x = v ln(u) and y = u ln(v) define u and v as functions of the independent variables x and y, and if vx exists. (Hint: Differentiate both equations with respect to x and solve for vx by eliminating ux.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to the following two equations but don't know how to proceed from there.

1= v/u (u_x )+ln⁡(u) (v_x)

∂y/∂x=u/v (v_x )+ln⁡(v) (u_x)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your question.

First, let's start by differentiating both equations with respect to x:

x = v ln(u)
x' = v'/u + v/u * u'

y = u ln(v)
y' = u'/v + u/v * v'

Now, we can rearrange these equations to solve for v' and u':

v' = (x' - v/u * u') * u
u' = (y' - u/v * v') * v

Next, we can substitute these expressions for v' and u' into our original equations:

1 = v/u * (x' - v/u * u') + ln(u) * (y' - u/v * v')
1 = x' - v^2/u * u' + ln(u) * y' - u/v * ln(u) * v'
1 = x' - u' * (v^2/u + ln(u) * v')
1 = x' - u' * (v^2 + u * ln(u) * v')/u

Now, we can solve for vx by eliminating u':

vx = (1 - x')/((v^2 + u * ln(u) * v')/u)

Finally, we can substitute our expression for u' into our equation for vx to get our final answer:

vx = (1 - x')/((v^2 + y' * v)/v)

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to Partial Derivatives: Express vx from u,v in x,y

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, while holding all other variables constant. It is represented by the symbol ∂ and is commonly used in multivariable calculus.

2. How do you express vx from u,v in x,y?

To express vx from u,v in x,y, we use the chain rule in calculus. This involves taking the partial derivative of u and v with respect to x, and then multiplying them together to get the partial derivative of vx with respect to x.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables is altered, while keeping all other variables constant. This is helpful in understanding the relationships between variables and how they affect each other.

4. Can partial derivatives be used in real life applications?

Yes, partial derivatives have many real-life applications, especially in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems that involve multiple variables, such as fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives?

While partial derivatives are a powerful tool in mathematics, they do have some limitations. They can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable, meaning they have a defined slope at every point. Additionally, they may not be applicable in cases where the variables are not independent of each other.