Part 2 of mathematical modeling question

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in solving a polynomial equation with x in terms of c. The speaker was able to divide an enormous polynomial with another polynomial and get a correct solution, but is now struggling with finding the 3 solutions to the equation. They mention using Wolfram Alpha and possibly using the cubic polynomial solving formula to simplify the equation.
shadedude123
Okay so after tearing my face off trying to find a 2-cycle, I've managed to make significant process. I divided an enormous polynomial with another polynomial and got a god awful mess which incidentally was correct. Now I'm having trouble solving this equation with x in terms of c:

-3x3-3((c2+8).5-c)x2+(6c2+6c((c2+8).5-8)x-8c-8((c2+8).5)

There are 3 solutions but I have no idea how to reach them:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...6c(c^2+8)^.5-8)x-8c-8((c^2+8)^.5)+solve+for+x

Physics news on Phys.org
wolfram alpha probably used the cubic polynomial solving formula and reduced it massively via algebra

ah, yes. I'll try to look that up.

Related to Part 2 of mathematical modeling question

1. What is mathematical modeling?

Mathematical modeling is the process of using mathematical equations, formulas, and data to create a simplified representation of a real-world phenomenon. It allows scientists to better understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. What is the purpose of mathematical modeling?

The purpose of mathematical modeling is to gain insight and understanding into complex systems that cannot be easily observed or studied directly. It also allows scientists to make predictions and test hypotheses about the behavior of these systems.

3. What are the steps involved in mathematical modeling?

The steps involved in mathematical modeling include identifying the problem or phenomenon to be modeled, gathering data and information, formulating mathematical equations and assumptions, solving the equations using numerical methods, and interpreting and analyzing the results.

4. What are some examples of mathematical models?

There are many examples of mathematical models, such as the equations used to describe the motion of objects in physics, the spread of diseases in epidemiology, and the growth of populations in biology. Other examples include weather forecasting models, financial models for predicting stock prices, and traffic flow models.

5. What are the limitations of mathematical modeling?

Mathematical modeling is a simplified representation of a real-world phenomenon, so it may not capture all the complexities and nuances of the system. Additionally, the accuracy of the model depends on the quality of the data and the assumptions made. It is important for scientists to continuously validate and refine their models to improve their accuracy.