Parametric Surface Homework: Finding Upper & Lower Values

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a parametric surface in a calculus 3 class. The goal is to set up and evaluate a surface integral using this parametrization. The conversation then delves into finding the upper and lower values for u and v, as well as the boundaries for the parametric region. The conversation also discusses the process of finding the boundaries for a complicated parametrization. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a summary of the vertices of a triangle on the parametric plane and the necessary differential for the integral.
YAHA

Homework Statement

This is a part of a bigger problem I am working on for my calculus 3 class. There is a parametric surface: [itex]^{\vec{}}r(u,v)=<u+v,u-v,1-2u>[/itex]
It represents the plane through points (1,0,0), (0,1,0) (0,0,1). As part of the problem, I need to set up a surface integral (specifically through this parametrization) and evaluate it. Now, what is the proper way of finding the upper and lower value for u and v?

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging the values x,y and z from the above given points into the following system: [itex]^{}X(u,v)=u+v, Y(u,v)=u-v, Z(u,v)=1-2u[/itex]

As result, I obtained 3 pairs of u and v: [itex]^{}u=1/2,v=1/2 (for (1,0,0));u=0,v=0 (for (0,0,1)); u=1/2,v=-1/2 (for (0,1,0)) [/itex]

Is it mathematically correct to send the double integral over the parametric region for [itex]^{}u\epsilon[0,1/2][/itex] and [itex]^{}v\epsilon[-1/2,1/2] [/itex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, u in [0,1/2] and v in [-1/2,1/2] is a four sided polygon. What you want is a three sided polygon. As you've already figured out, the vertices are (u,v)=(1/2,1/2), (0,0) and (1/2,-1/2). That's a triangle, right? The upper and lower limits can't both be constants.

thank you :) You are right. I have actually figured this one out last night. I temporarily made an explicit (x,y) parametrization to the surface and saw that its identical to the one given through (u,v). It was easy from there. I guess my question is whether there is any formal method on finding boundaries of (u,v) when you are given a surface in x,y,z and a complicated parametrization? What if the case is not as obvious as the one I had above?

You have [itex]\vec{r}= <u+ v, u- v, 1- 2u>[/itex] and your vertices are (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1).

For the first point, you must have u+ v= 1, u- v= 0. Adding the two equations, 2u= 1 so u= 1/2. Then, of course, v= 1/2 also. Check the last coordinate: 1- 2(1/2)= 0. If that last didn't check, the point would not be on this surface.

For the second point, you must have u+ v= 0, u- v= 1. Adding the two equations give 2u= 1 so u= 1/2 but now v= -1/2. Again, 1- 2(1/2)= 0.

For the third point, you must have u+ v= 0, u- v= 0. Those two equations give the obvious u= 0, v= 0 and, of course, 1-2(0)= 1.

That is, your triangle has vertices, in the "(u, v) plane" (0, 0), (1/2, -1/2), and (1/2, 1/2).

The line from (0, 0) to (1/2, 1/2) is v= u. The line from (0, 0) to (1/2, -1/2) is v= -u.
You need u from 0 to 1/2 and, for each u, v from -u to u.

And your differential, in terms of du and dv is?

Related to Parametric Surface Homework: Finding Upper & Lower Values

1. What is a parametric surface?

A parametric surface is a surface in three-dimensional space that is defined by a set of equations, where the coordinates of a point on the surface are expressed as functions of two independent parameters.

2. How do you find the upper and lower values of a parametric surface?

To find the upper and lower values of a parametric surface, you need to evaluate the equations at different values of the parameters and determine the maximum and minimum values of the resulting coordinates.

3. What are the applications of parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to represent curved surfaces in 3D models, to study surfaces in calculus, and to model physical objects in computer simulations.

4. What are some common parametric surfaces?

Some common parametric surfaces include spheres, cones, cylinders, and tori. These surfaces have equations that can be expressed in terms of two parameters, such as u and v.

5. How can I use parametric surfaces in my homework?

If your homework involves finding upper and lower values of a parametric surface, you can use the equations provided to evaluate the coordinates at different values of the parameters. You can also graph the surface using software or sketch it by hand to better visualize the upper and lower values.