Parametric representation of a straight line

In summary: Is this making sense? In summary, the parametric representation of a straight line involves using a parameter t to scale a vector that is parallel to the line. This allows you to find any point on the line. The formula is r(t) = a + tb, where a is a point on the line and b is a vector parallel to the line. The parameter t scales the vector to reach any desired point on the line.
geft

Homework Statement

There are two questions,
1) straight line through (2, 0, 4) and (-3, 0, 9)
2) straight line y = 2x + 3, z = 7x

Homework Equations

r(t) = a + tb = [a1 + tb1, a2 + tb2, a3 + tb3]

The book also explains how to calculate the line if b is a unit vector, but I don't understand what it is trying to say (directional cosines?). For instance, the straight line in the xy-plane through A: (3,2) having slope 1 is:

r(t) = [3, 2, 0] + t[1, 1, 0] = [3 + t, 2 + t, 0]

I don't understand how exactly does having slope of 1 translate to [1, 1, 0].

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1), I get the vector (-5, 0, 5) by subtracting the vertices, but I have no idea how to get the second vector to plug into the equation above.

For (2), (x, y, z) = (x, 2x + 3, 7x). Suppose x = 1, then (x, y, z) = (1, 5, 7). Suppose x = 0, then (x, y, z) = (0, 3, 0). Subtracting those to get a vector, I get (1, 2, 7). Like in (1), I don't know how to get a second vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
geft said:

Homework Statement

There are two questions,
1) straight line through (2, 0, 4) and (-3, 0, 9)
2) straight line y = 2x + 3, z = 7x

Homework Equations

r(t) = a + tb = [a1 + tb1, a2 + tb2, a3 + tb3]

The book also explains how to calculate the line if b is a unit vector, but I don't understand what it is trying to say (directional cosines?). For instance, the straight line in the xy-plane through A: (3,2) having slope 1 is:

r(t) = [3, 2, 0] + t[1, 1, 0] = [3 + t, 2 + t, 0]

I don't understand how exactly does having slope of 1 translate to [1, 1, 0].
If the line has a slope of 1 and goes through (3, 2), then it also goes through (4, 3). A 3D vector in this direction is <1, 1, 0>.
geft said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1), I get the vector (-5, 0, 5) by subtracting the vertices, but I have no idea how to get the second vector to plug into the equation above.
Think about it in terms of the sum of two vectors. The first goes from the origin to some point on the line. The second goes from that point to an arbitrary point (x, y, z) on the line.

So r = <vector from origin to (2, 0, 4)> + <vector from (2, 0, 4) to (x, y, z)>

You know that the vector <-5, 0, 5> has the same direction as the line, so the second vector above has to be a scalar multiple of <-5, 0, 5>.

geft said:
For (2), (x, y, z) = (x, 2x + 3, 7x). Suppose x = 1, then (x, y, z) = (1, 5, 7). Suppose x = 0, then (x, y, z) = (0, 3, 0). Subtracting those to get a vector, I get (1, 2, 7). Like in (1), I don't know how to get a second vector.
Let x = t. Then what would y be? What would z be?

Mark44 said:
You know that the vector <-5, 0, 5> has the same direction as the line, so the second vector above has to be a scalar multiple of <-5, 0, 5>.

Suppose the second vector is (-1, 0, 1).

Then r = a + tb = (-5, 0, 5) + t(-1, 0, 1) = (-5 - t, 0, 5 + t)
Is this correct?

What exactly is t? I don't know what it represents.

geft said:
Suppose the second vector is (-1, 0, 1).

Then r = a + tb = (-5, 0, 5) + t(-1, 0, 1) = (-5 - t, 0, 5 + t)
Is this correct?
No, because you are confusing points on the line with vectors parallel to the line. Your equation above says that (-5, 0, 5) is a point on the line, and I'm pretty sure it's not. Instead, use one of the points that were given - (2, 0, 4) or (-3, 0, 9).
geft said:
What exactly is t? I don't know what it represents.

The title of this thread is Parametric representation of a straight line. t is the parameter.

Mark44 said:
No, because you are confusing points on the line with vectors parallel to the line. Your equation above says that (-5, 0, 5) is a point on the line, and I'm pretty sure it's not. Instead, use one of the points that were given - (2, 0, 4) or (-3, 0, 9).

The formula uses bold letters for a and b, so I thought they were supposed to be vectors. Anyway, should it be this then?

(2, 0, 4) + t(-5, 0, 5) = (2 - 5t, 0, 4 + 5t)

The title of this thread is Parametric representation of a straight line. t is the parameter.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I don't understand exactly how it works. The book I'm using is very brief on that. Is the parameter something like the gradient for a two-dimensional line equation?

Last edited:
geft said:
The formula uses bold letters for a and b, so I thought they were supposed to be vectors. Anyway, should it be this then?

(2, 0, 4) + t(-5, 0, 5) = (2 - 5t, 0, 2 - 5t)
Almost. The last part should be <2 - 5t, 0, 4 + 5t>. As a function, it's r(t) = <2, 0, 4> + t<-5, 0, 5>. The first vector, <2, 0, 4> gets you from the origin to the point (2, 0, 4) on the line. The second vector is parallel to the line. The parameter t scales the vector along the line so that you can get to any point on the line.

As a check, notice that r(0) = <2, 0, 4>, the vector that takes you to the point (2, 0, 4). r(1) = <2, 0, 4> + 1<-5, 0, 5> = <-3, 0, 9>, the vector that takes you to the point (-3, 0, 9).

The parametric equations for x, y, and z are x = 2 - 5t, y = 0, and z = 4 + 5t. These equations give you the x, y, and z values for any point on the line in terms of the parameter t.
geft said:
The title of this thread is Parametric representation of a straight line. t is the parameter.

Yes, but I don't understand exactly how it works. The book I'm using is very brief on that. Is the parameter something like the gradient for a two-dimensional line equation?[/QUOTE]
No. For lines in space (three dimensions), there really isn't the concept of slope (or gradient), at least not in the simple form of rise/run as it appears for lines in the plane.

The parameter is just some variable that labels where you are on the curve. For example, suppose the curve is a circle centered at the origin with radius 2 in the xy plane. You could express the circle parametrically as

[tex]\vec{r} = (2\cos \theta, 2\sin\theta)[/tex]

where the angle θ measured from the x-axis is the parameter. You could also write it as

[tex]\vec{r} = (2\cos (s/2), 2\sin (s/2))[/tex]

where the parameter s corresponds to the arc length along the circle from the point (2,0). Or you could come up with a parameter which has no physical/geometric interpretation. In all cases, though, as you vary the parameter, you'll move along the curve.

Thank you both, I think I'm getting the hang of it. That last bit of my answer for question one was a silly calculation error.

Now on to question two.

(x, y, z) = (x, 2x + 3, 7x).

Suppose x = 1, then (x, y, z) = (1, 5, 7).
Suppose x = 0, then (x, y, z) = (0, 3, 0).
Subtracting those, I get (1, 2, 7).

r(0) = (1, 5, 7) + t(1, 2, 7)
r(0) = (1 + t, 5 + 2t, 7 + 7t)

According to question one, this is how I should do it, but since you mentioned

Suppose x = t, then (x, y, z) = (t, 2t + 3, 7t).
(1, 5, 7) - (t, 2t + 3, 7t) = (1 - t, 2 - 2t, 7 - 7t) would be the vector.

r(t) = (1, 5, 7) + t(1 - t, 2 - 2t, 7 - 7t)
r(t) = (1, 5, 7) + (t - t^2, 2t -2t^2, 7t - 7t^2)
r(t) = (1 + t - t^2, 5 + 2t - 2t^2, 7 + 7t - 7t^2)

Is this correct? I'm not sure it is since the coordinates are quadratics.

geft said:
Thank you both, I think I'm getting the hang of it. That last bit of my answer for question one was a silly calculation error.

Now on to question two.

(x, y, z) = (x, 2x + 3, 7x).

Suppose x = 0, then (x, y, z) = (0, 3, 0).
Subtracting those, I get (1, 2, 7).

r(0) = (1, 5, 7) + t(1, 2, 7)
r(0) = (1 + t, 5 + 2t, 7 + 7t)
You're way off here. You didn't include the question, so I don't know what this problem is asking for.

We can rewrite this as r(t) = <t, 2t + 3, 7t>. The parametric equations are
x = t
y = 2t + 3
z = 7t

r(0) = <0, 3, 0>.
r(1) = <1, 5, 7>.

These vectors extend from the origin to the points (0, 3, 0) and (1, 5, 7) on the line. A vector from one of these points to the other is <1, 2, 7>.

Notice
No, those are both expressions for r(t), not r(0). You have already figured out r(0) = <0, 3, 0>.
geft said:
According to question one, this is how I should do it, but since you mentioned

Suppose x = t, then (x, y, z) = (t, 2t + 3, 7t).
(1, 5, 7) - (t, 2t + 3, 7t) = (1 - t, 2 - 2t, 7 - 7t) would be the vector.

r(t) = (1, 5, 7) + t(1 - t, 2 - 2t, 7 - 7t)
r(t) = (1, 5, 7) + (t - t^2, 2t -2t^2, 7t - 7t^2)
r(t) = (1 + t - t^2, 5 + 2t - 2t^2, 7 + 7t - 7t^2)

Is this correct? I'm not sure it is since the coordinates are quadratics.

No, it's not. See above.

The question was to find a parametric representation of the straight line y = 2x + 3, z = 7x.

So is it correct that the answer is r(t) = (1 + t, 5 + 2t, 7 + 7t)?

By the way, is there any good online tutorial that teaches the basics of these?

geft said:
The question was to find a parametric representation of the straight line y = 2x + 3, z = 7x.

So is it correct that the answer is r(t) = (1 + t, 5 + 2t, 7 + 7t)?
No, it's not. Please reread my previous post carefully. I answered this question in my last post.
geft said:
By the way, is there any good online tutorial that teaches the basics of these?

Ah, so it's r(t) = (t, 2t + 3, 7t)?
These vectors extend from the origin to the points (0, 3, 0) and (1, 5, 7) on the line. A vector from one of these points to the other is <1, 2, 7>.

Shouldn't the vector from (1, 5, 7) to (0, 3, 0) be (-1, -2, -7)?

Also, for the first question, is it alright to reduce the vector (-5, 0, 5) to (-1, 0, 1) since we only need the direction (I think the magnitude is determined by t)?

geft said:
Ah, so it's r(t) = (t, 2t + 3, 7t)?
Yes. You have to admit that that problem was a "gimme."
geft said:
Shouldn't the vector from (1, 5, 7) to (0, 3, 0) be (-1, -2, -7)?
My vector goes in the opposite direction; that is, from (0, 3, 0) to (1, 5, 7). The two vectors are scalar multiples of one another.
geft said:
Also, for the first question, is it alright to reduce the vector (-5, 0, 5) to (-1, 0, 1) since we only need the direction (I think the magnitude is determined by t)?
Sure, since all you need is a vector (of whatever length) in the right direction.

Thanks for all the help.

Related to Parametric representation of a straight line

What is a parametric representation of a straight line?

A parametric representation of a straight line is a way of expressing the coordinates of points along a line in terms of one or more parameters. It is usually in the form of an equation, where the parameters are variables that can take on different values.

How is a parametric representation of a straight line different from a standard form equation?

A standard form equation of a straight line is in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In contrast, a parametric representation does not necessarily have to be in this form and can include more than two variables.

How do you determine the slope and y-intercept from a parametric representation of a straight line?

To determine the slope and y-intercept from a parametric representation of a straight line, you can use the equations x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt, where a and b are the parameters, and (x0, y0) are the coordinates of a point on the line. The slope is then given by b/a and the y-intercept is y0 - bx0/a.

How is a parametric representation of a straight line useful in real-world applications?

A parametric representation of a straight line can be useful in real-world applications because it allows for more flexibility in representing lines. For example, it can be used to model the movement of an object along a line with changing velocity or acceleration. It can also be used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and animations.

Are there any limitations to using a parametric representation of a straight line?

One limitation of using a parametric representation of a straight line is that it may not be as intuitive or easy to interpret as a standard form equation. Additionally, the parameters used in the representation may not always have a direct physical meaning, making it more difficult to relate to real-world situations.