Parametric Intersection of Planes P1 and P2

But yes, you got it. :)Right, and I'm sorry if I made it seem like you didn't get the right answer. Your method and result were fine. :)
andrey21
Calculate in parametric form and describe how the planes intersect

Where:

P1 = x-3y+5z=6
P2 = 2x-7y+9z=2

My attempt

Put planes in matrix form:

1, -3, 5, 6
2, -7, 9, 2

Find Echelon Form

1, -3, 5, 6
0, -1, -1, -10

Z = free variable = a
So:

-y-z=-10

y = 10 - a

Sub into P1:

x-3(10-a)+5z=6
x -30 +3a +5a =9
x+8a=36
x=36-8a

So vector parametric form of equation is:

(x,y,z) = (36,10,0) + a(-8,-1,1)

Is this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check for yourself. If your equation is correct, each value of a will give you a point that is on both planes.

Geometrically, your solution represents the line of intersection of the two planes.

So you mean to do the following:

use (1,-3,5) from first plane:

sub into equation gives:

z=0+a
a=5

y=10-a
-3=10-a
a=13

No, he meant check (x,y,z) = (36,10,0) + a(-8,-1,1) in the equations of both planes.
The planes are given by x-3y+5z=6 and 2x-7y+9z=2.

Put x= 36- 8a, y= 10- a and z= a into both of those. What do you get?

Ok sorry I got a little confused before: By substitution I get:

6=6 and 2=2 therefore equation is correct

andrey21 said:
Ok sorry I got a little confused before: By substitution I get:

6=6 and 2=2 therefore equation is correct
No, what you have found is that the point x = 36 - 8a, y = 10 - a, z = a is a solution of both equations (meaning that this point is on both planes), regardless of the value of a.

Ok Thank you. I do have a follow up question :

A third plane is added

P3: 2x-6y+10z=b

Find a value for b so three planes have no common point of intersection.

Now shall I just use equation established in previous question and establish value for b from there??

That's not what I would do. I would solve this system of equations
x - 3y + 5z = 6
2x - 7y + 9z = 2
2x - 6y + 10z = b

I would set this up as an augmented matrix, and use matrix operations to row-reduce the matrix.

Ok so adopting your technique I obtained for the final row:

b-12=0
b=12

Therefore b=11 would mean the planes have no common point of intersection

Right, that's one of an infinite number of possible values for which the three planes have no common intersection. Notice that if b = 12, the first and third equations are equivalent, so both equations describe the same plane.

Thank you mark 44:

The question goes on to introduce a fourth plane:

P4=3x-10y+az=8

Now I must find a value for a for which three planes P1,P2and P4 intersect in a common straight line. Shall I just adopt same approach by putting in matrix and solving?

Yes. Keep in mind, though, that for these three planes to intersect in a line, you shouldn't get a unique solution for your system. I haven't worked this problem, so this warning may or may not be important.

One very minor thing: Don't write P4=3x-10y+az=8. P4 just identifies which plane you're talking about; it isn't equal to an equation. In fact, you shouldn't say that anything "equals" an equation.

Either use a colon (:) or just a space.

Ok so by putting in matrix and solving as before I obtain:

1 ,-3, 5, 6
0,-1,(a-15),-10
0, 0,(14-a), 0

So from this I can say:

(14-a)z=0
14z=az
a=14

Then substituting:

x= 36- 8a, y= 10- a and z= a

into P4.

we get

8=8

andrey21 said:
Ok so by putting in matrix and solving as before I obtain:

1 ,-3, 5, 6
0,-1,(a-15),-10
0, 0,(14-a), 0

So from this I can say:

(14-a)z=0
No need to expand (14 -a)z. If (14 - a)z = 0, then 14 - a = 0, so a = 14.
andrey21 said:
14z=az
a=14
This (above) is your answer.

The part below is the check of your work, verifying that the line is actually on the third plane.
andrey21 said:
Then substituting:

x= 36- 8a, y= 10- a and z= a

into P4.

we get

8=8

Yes sorry that wasn't the clearest answer at the bottom there. Now I have to identify the parametric equation of that line. This is confusing me a little as to where I get this from

You can get the parametric equation of the line from your matrix.
If a = 14, your reduced augmented matrix looks like this:
[tex]\left[\begin{array} {ccccc} 1&0&8&|&36\\0&1&1&|&10\end{array}\right][/tex]
As a system of equations, this matrix says
x + 8z = 36
y + z = 10

We can write both x and y in terms of z, and we can let z = t to work a parameter in. This gives us
x = -8t + 36
y = -t + 10
z = t

You can also write this in vector form, with r(t) = <x, y, z> = t<-8, -1, 1> + <36, 10, 0>.

so r(t) = <x, y, z> = t<-8, -1, 1> + <36, 10, 0> is the equation of the line, which is identical to the one I established in the first post as all three planes are on the same line.

Or rather, the line is on all three planes.

Related to Parametric Intersection of Planes P1 and P2

What is parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2?

Parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 refers to the method of finding the point or points at which two planes intersect in 3-dimensional space using parametric equations.

How is parametric intersection calculated?

The parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 is calculated by setting the equations of the two planes equal to each other and solving for the variables using a system of equations. The resulting values for the variables represent the coordinates of the point of intersection.

What does it mean if the parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 has no solution?

If the equations of planes P1 and P2 do not have a common point of intersection, then the parametric intersection will have no solution. This means that the two planes are parallel and do not intersect in 3-dimensional space.

Can the parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 be represented graphically?

Yes, the parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 can be represented graphically by plotting the equations of the planes on a 3-dimensional coordinate system. The point(s) of intersection will be where the two planes intersect on the graph.

What are some real-world applications of parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2?

Parametric intersection of planes P1 and P2 has many real-world applications, such as in 3-dimensional geometry, computer graphics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the intersection of two roads or the intersection of two planes in a building design, among other things.