Parametric Equations and cartesian equation

In summary, the conversation involved discussing how to find the cartesian equation for a curve that contains given parametric equations, using the identity sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1. The conversation also touches on the importance of t in the problem and how it relates to the solution. A typo was made and corrected, and thanks were given to HallsofIvy for helping.
courtrigrad
(1)If you are given the parametric equations [itex] x = sin(2\pi\t) [/itex] [itex] y = cos(2\pi\t) [/itex] and [itex] 0\leq t\leq 1 [/itex] how would you find the cartesian equation for a curve that contains the parametrized curve?

Using the identity [itex] \sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta = 1 [/itex] would it be [itex] x^{2} + y^{2} = 1 [/itex]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry... What does anything have to do with t? Isn't t part of the problem? If so, should it not be part of the solution as well?

Are you sure x and y are independent of t?? If so, the cartsian equation is just the point (0,1)

come on its a typo... [itex] x = \sin(2\pi t ), y = \cos(2\pi t ) [/itex]

thanks

plugpoint, you were the one who made the typo- "Sorry, it was a typo" would be better than "Come on its a typo"!

Yes, you are correct, since [itex]sin^2(2\pi t)+ cos^2(2\pi t)[/itex].
You should also note that, as t goes from 0 to 1, [itex]2\pi t[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] so this would be exactly once around the circle.

sorry about that. I was actually saying that to myself, because I was annoyed that I always make typos with Latex. Sorry To Tsar and EnumaFish. And thank you HallsofIvy for helping me

:smile:

Related to Parametric Equations and cartesian equation

1. What is the difference between parametric equations and cartesian equations?

Parametric equations represent a set of coordinates as a function of one or more independent variables, while cartesian equations represent a relationship between two variables on a plane.

2. How are parametric equations useful in real-world applications?

Parametric equations can be used to model and describe the motion of objects, such as projectiles or moving vehicles, in a specified coordinate system.

3. Can parametric equations and cartesian equations be used interchangeably?

No, parametric equations and cartesian equations represent different ways of expressing mathematical relationships and cannot be used interchangeably.

4. What are some common examples of parametric equations?

Some common examples of parametric equations include the equations for a circle, an ellipse, and a parabola.

5. How do you convert a parametric equation into a cartesian equation?

To convert a parametric equation into a cartesian equation, eliminate the parameter by solving for it in one equation and substituting it into the other equation.