Parametric Curves: Solving & Approximating

In summary, the speaker is given a parametric curve and has found the equation of the tangent line at t=-2. They are asked if the line intersects the curve again, but are unable to find the original equation of the curve to solve simultaneously. They are also asked to find an approximation for sec 61, but are unsure how to approach it.
misogynisticfeminist
1. I am given a curve defined parametrically by [tex] x= 2/t , y=1-2t [/tex] i have found the equation of tangent at t=-2 to be y=4x+9, they have asked whether it cuts the curve again. how do i find that, since i don't know the original equation of the curve and can't solve them simultaneously.

2. Also they have asked to find an approximation for sec 61. I have used [tex] \frac{\delta y}{\delta x}= \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex], but i did not get the answer, 2.0605. How do i get about doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
misogynisticfeminist said:
1. I am given a curve defined parametrically by [tex] x= 2/t , y=1-2t [/tex] i have found the equation of tangent at t=-2 to be y=4x+9, they have asked whether it cuts the curve again. how do i find that, since i don't know the original equation of the curve and can't solve them simultaneously.
Intersect the line with the curve and see if you find any other intersection points besides t = -2. Since y = 4x+9, using the parametric equation for x, y = 4(2/t) + 9. Now substitute in the parametric equation for y and solve for t.

For the second question, I'm not really sure what you mean.

You should first convert 610 into radians (most work in calculus use radians, instead of degrees), i.e:
[tex]61 ^ \circ = \frac{61 \pi}{180} \mbox{ rad}[/tex]
Since you already have:
[tex]\sec \left( \frac{60 \pi}{180} \right) = \sec \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) = 2[/tex]
You can use
f(x0 + h) ≈ f(x0) + h f'(x0) (h ≈ 0) to solve your problem.
Can you go from here?

Last edited:

Related to Parametric Curves: Solving & Approximating

1. What are parametric curves?

Parametric curves are mathematical representations of curves or shapes using a set of parametric equations, where the coordinates of the curve are expressed as functions of one or more parameters. These curves are commonly used to describe complex shapes in a simple and efficient way.

2. How do you solve parametric curves?

To solve parametric curves, you need to eliminate the parameter by finding a relationship between the two equations using algebraic techniques. This can involve substitution, elimination, or graphing methods. Once the parameter is eliminated, the resulting equation will be in terms of x and y, which can be graphed or analyzed using traditional methods.

3. What is the purpose of approximating parametric curves?

Approximating parametric curves is useful when the equations are too complex to solve or when the exact solution is not necessary. In these cases, approximating the curve can provide a close enough estimate for practical applications. Approximation methods include using a series of points or using a polynomial function to fit the curve.

4. What are some common applications of parametric curves?

Parametric curves have many applications in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. Some common uses include designing complex shapes in computer-aided design (CAD), modeling the trajectory of an object in projectile motion, and creating smooth animations in video games.

5. How do parametric curves differ from Cartesian curves?

The main difference between parametric curves and Cartesian curves is the way they are defined. Parametric curves use a set of equations with parameters to describe the coordinates of the curve, while Cartesian curves use a single equation with x and y as variables. This allows parametric curves to represent more complex and varied shapes compared to Cartesian curves.