Parametric curve, unique pt. P, tangent at P goes through other point.

In summary, the problem involves finding the coordinates of point P on a parametric curve where the tangent line at P must pass through a given point. Using the derivatives and vector manipulation, the point P can be found by obtaining the tangent vector at P and plugging in the known point that the tangent line passes through.
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
A curve given parametrically by (x, y, z) = (2 + 3t, 2 – 2t^2, -3t – 2t^3). There is a unique point P on the curve with the property that the tangent line at P passes through the point (-10, -22, 76).

Answer:
P = (-4, -6, 22)

What are the coordinates of point P?

Homework Equations

Derivatives and vector manipulation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I read on-line that one must find some vector and that that vector is parallel to the vector of the derivatives with respect to t (so, they're scalar multiples of each other), but I don't know specifically how to start nor do I understand what is going on, so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what needs to be done to successfully complete this problem and also help me understand what is going on spatially as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
The point P corresponds to some value of t, tP. You can differentiate to find dx/dt, and plugging in t = tP gives you the tangent vector at P. From this, obtain an expression for the tangent line in terms of tP. It remains to plug in the known point that this line passes through.

Related to Parametric curve, unique pt. P, tangent at P goes through other point.

What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in which the position of a point on the curve is determined by one or more parameters. These parameters can be expressed as functions of another variable, usually time, resulting in a set of equations that describe the motion of the point.

What is a unique point P on a parametric curve?

A unique point P on a parametric curve is a single point on the curve that can be identified by a specific set of values for the parameters. This point has a unique location and coordinates on the curve and can be used to calculate other properties of the curve, such as the slope at that point.

How is the tangent at point P determined on a parametric curve?

The tangent at point P on a parametric curve is determined by finding the derivative of the parametric equations at the point P. This derivative represents the slope of the curve at that point and can be used to construct the tangent line.

What does it mean for the tangent at point P to go through another point?

If the tangent at point P on a parametric curve goes through another point, it means that the coordinates of that point satisfy the equation of the tangent line at point P. In other words, the tangent line and the line connecting point P and the other point intersect at that point.

Why is it important for the tangent at point P to go through another point on a parametric curve?

It is important for the tangent at point P to go through another point on a parametric curve because it allows us to find the coordinates and properties of that other point, which may be important in further calculations or analysis of the curve. It also helps us understand the relationship between different points on the curve and how they are connected.