Parameterize a union of circles

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a parameterization for the curve C, which is the union of two circles. One possible parameterization was suggested using a piecewise function, but concerns were raised about its smoothness at the intersection point. An alternative approach was proposed, using a hybrid function/parameterization, where x is represented as either r cos(t) or 1+r cos(t). The circles intersect at x=\frac{1}{2}.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Let [itex]C=\lbrace(x,y) \in R^2: x^2+y^2=1 \rbrace \cup \lbrace (x,y) \in R^2: (x-1)^2+y^2=1 \rbrace [/itex]. Give a parameterization of the curve C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how valid it is but I tried to use a 'piecewise parameterisation', defining it to be [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{\pi}{6}), sin(t+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex] and [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})+1, sin(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [2\pi, 4\pi][/itex].

So it traces out the first circle out at the top intersection and then the second. But I'm not sure how to make this smooth at the intersection, and one-to-one, as I'm quite sure it has to be. This is the best I could come up with.

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]C=\lbrace(x,y) \in R^2: x^2+y^2=1 \rbrace \cup \lbrace (x,y) \in R^2: (x-1)^2+y^2=1 \rbrace [/itex]. Give a parameterization of the curve C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how valid it is but I tried to use a 'piecewise parameterisation', defining it to be [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{\pi}{6}), sin(t+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex] and [itex]r(t)=(cos(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})+1, sin(t+\frac{2\pi}{3})[/itex] for all [itex]t \in [2\pi, 4\pi][/itex].

So it traces out the first circle out at the top intersection and then the second. But I'm not sure how to make this smooth at the intersection, and one-to-one, as I'm quite sure it has to be. This is the best I could come up with.
What are the coordinates of the points of intersection ?

You would parameterise the one circle as x = r cos(t), etc., and the other as x = 1+r cos(t). How would you write the condition that x is either r cos(t) or 1+r cos(t)?

@SammyS: The circles intersect at [itex]x=\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

@haruspex: As a hybrid function/parameterization? So x=cos(t) for t in some interval and x=cos(t)+1 for t in another interval?

Would this mean we are doing two separate parameterizations and so they don't have to be smooth at the intersection?

Related to Parameterize a union of circles

1. What is the purpose of parameterizing a union of circles?

The purpose of parameterizing a union of circles is to represent a set of circles using a single equation or set of equations. This allows us to describe the entire union of circles in a more simplified and convenient way.

2. How do you parameterize a union of circles?

To parameterize a union of circles, we first need to determine the center coordinates and radii of each circle in the union. Then, we can use a set of equations to describe the relationship between these parameters and the points on the circles. This will result in a single equation or set of equations that represent the entire union of circles.

3. Can a union of circles be parameterized in different ways?

Yes, a union of circles can be parameterized in different ways depending on the specific parameters and equations used. For example, one could use polar coordinates or Cartesian coordinates to parameterize the circles.

4. Are there any limitations to parameterizing a union of circles?

One limitation of parameterizing a union of circles is that it may not accurately represent the exact shape of the union. This is because the equations used to parameterize the circles are often simplified and may not account for every single point on the circles. Additionally, the equations may be limited in their ability to describe more complex unions of circles.

5. How is a parameterized union of circles used in real-world applications?

A parameterized union of circles has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics and engineering. For example, in computer graphics, a parameterized union of circles can be used to create complex 2D or 3D images by manipulating the equations that describe the circles. In engineering, it can be used to analyze and model circular structures or systems.