Parallel vectors and scalar product rule

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving parallel vectors and finding the angle between them. The participant uses the scalar product rule to solve the problem, but initially gets the wrong answer. After some help and suggestions, they realize their mistake and are able to obtain the correct answer using the fact that parallel vectors are multiples of each other.
pavadrin
hey,
ive been given a problem where vector a = 2i + 3j and vector b = [tex]\lambda[/tex]i + 12j and also told that these vectors are parallel of each other. i understand since the vectors are parallel of each other, the angle between them would be equal to zero, thus i could apply the scalar product rule to help solve this problem, which in this case i did.

My working:

[tex]
\begin{array}{c}
{\bf{a}} = 2{\bf{i}} + 3{\bf{j}} \\
{\bf{b}} = \lambda {\bf{i}} + 12{\bf{j}} \\
{\bf{a}}\parallel {\bf{b}} \\
\theta = 0 \\
\cos \theta = 1 \\
{\bf{a}} \cdot {\bf{b}} = \left| {\bf{a}} \right|\left| {\bf{b}} \right|\cos \theta \\
\left( {2{\bf{i}} + 3{\bf{j}}} \right) \cdot \left( {\lambda {\bf{i}} + 12{\bf{j}}} \right) = \left( {\sqrt {13} } \right)\left( {\sqrt {144 + \lambda ^2 } } \right)\left( 1 \right) \\
2\lambda + 36 = \left( {\sqrt {13} } \right)\left( {\sqrt {144 + \lambda ^2 } } \right) \\
\left( {2\lambda + 36} \right)^2 = 13\left( {144 + \lambda ^2 } \right) \\
4\lambda ^2 + 144\lambda + 1296 = 1872 + 13\lambda ^2 \\
- 9\lambda ^2 + 144\lambda - 576 = 0 \\
x = \frac{{ - b \pm \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} }}{{2a}} \\
\lambda = \frac{{ - 144 \pm \sqrt {144^2 - 4\left( { - 9} \right)\left( { - 576} \right)} }}{{2\left( { - 576} \right)}} \\
\lambda = \frac{1}{8} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

this is the wrong answer i know, as the correct answer would result in [tex]\lambda[/tex] being equal to eight, however i do not know how to obtain this answer, any help is greatly appriciated, thanks. sorry for the many post lately but i have a test comeing up which i really wish to do well into prove the teacher that i can do her subject. thanks once again,
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your working, it should be OK. The second last equation you quoted is right, but you didn't put the numbers in correctly.

Alternately, you can divide your quadratic by -9, then factorise it.

okay thanks for your help ill try that right now

hey that worked thanks~! i got the answer of 8 and -8. can i ask you why it didn't work when i used the quadratic formula? thanks

[tex]\lambda = \frac{{ - 144 \pm \sqrt {144^2 - 4\left( { - 9} \right)\left( { - 576} \right)} }}{{2\left( { - 9} \right)}}[/tex]
One divided by 2c instead of 2a.

As Tomsk suggested, dividing through by -9 would have simplied the solution.

[tex]\lambda ^2 - 16\lambda + 64 = 0[/tex]

Two vectors are parallel if one is a multiple of the other, i.e.

a i + b j = [itex]\lambda[/itex]a i + [itex]\lambda[/itex]b j

Last edited:
oh i see thanks, i feel so stupid now :blushing:
thanks once again,
Pavadrin

It would have been a lot simpler to use the fact that parallel vectors are multiples of each other from the start. You have:
2xi + 3xj = yi + 12j
3x = 12
x = 4
2x = y
y = 8

okay thanks, i was thinking that perhaps there was an easier way of solving the question but it never quite clicked, thanks

Related to Parallel vectors and scalar product rule

1. What is the definition of parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are two or more vectors that have the same direction or are in the same line. They do not necessarily have the same magnitude or starting point.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they are scalar multiples of each other. This means that one vector can be obtained by multiplying the other vector by a constant.

3. What is the scalar product rule?

The scalar product rule, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

4. How is the scalar product used in physics?

The scalar product is often used in physics to calculate work, power, and energy. It is also used to determine the angle between two vectors and their relative direction.

5. Why is the scalar product important in mathematics?

The scalar product is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine the length of a vector, the angle between two vectors, and whether two vectors are perpendicular or parallel. It is also used in various applications such as geometry, mechanics, and engineering.