Parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics?

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel-plate capacitor with a plate area of 5.29 cm^2 and plate separation of 8.10 mm, with the left half filled with a material of dielectric constant κ1 = 6.50 and the right half filled with a material of dielectric constant κ2 = 11.4. The capacitance is found using the formula C = (e0*A)/d, where e0 is the permittivity of free space. The calculation is done in parallel, as the two sections share the same potential difference at their connection points. The incorrect calculation was due to using the area in square centimeters instead of square meters. The final answer should be given in Farads
Destroxia

Homework Statement

[/B]
The figure shows a parallel-plate capacitor with a plate area A = 5.29 cm^2 and plate separation d = 8.10 mm. The left half of the gap is filled with material of dielectric constant κ1 = 6.50; the right half is filled with material of dielectric constant κ2 = 11.4. What is the capacitance?

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c25/fig25_48_wiley.gif

(Given)

A = 5.29 cm^2
d = 8.10 mm
k1 = 6.50
k2 = 11.4
e0 = 8.85E-12

(unknowns)

CNoDielectrics = ?
CDielectrics = ?

Homework Equations

C[/B]Parallel-Plate = (e0*A)/d

C
AddedDielectric = CParallel-Plate*Kdielectricconstant

The Attempt at a Solution

CNo Dielectric/2 = (e0*((5.29E-2)/2))/(8.10E-3) = 2.89E-11

Since the separated capacitor is in series (I think), you can use the law of inverse capcitance sums, after multiplying the CNo Dielectric/2 once by k1, and another time by k2, and add them, then inverse them, you get

1/((CNo Dielectric/2)*k1) + 1/((CNo Dielectric/2)*k2) =

= 3.04E-11 + 5.32E-11 = 8.36E-11

1/8.36E-11 = 1.20E-12 = CDielectrics

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently, my image couldn't be posted as it was a secure URL. I will provide a description. It is 1 parallel-plate capacitor split in half VERTICALLY, each half has a different dielectric. The one on the left is K1, the one of the right is K2. The Area value is for the whole parallel plate capacitor, and each half is A/2. d is the distance between plates.

RyanTAsher said:
Apparently, my image couldn't be posted as it was a secure URL. I will provide a description. It is 1 parallel-plate capacitor split in half VERTICALLY, each half has a different dielectric. The one on the left is K1, the one of the right is K2. The Area value is for the whole parallel plate capacitor, and each half is A/2. d is the distance between plates.
What is your logic for considering the two capacitances to be in series?

gneill said:
What is your logic for considering the two capacitances to be in series?

I figured that it would just be because 1 came after the other, but I thought about it for awhile and came to the conclusion that isn't it just the voltage remaining constant throughout, or the charge remaining constant which determines they are in series, or parallel? So, would these actually be in parallel, since it is "Technically" the same capacitor, just with different dielectrics, then the voltage must be constant? Implying it would be parallel... ?

They are parallel because they share the same two nodes at their connection points to any circuit: they share the same wire leads. That also means of course that they share the same potential difference.

So re-work your calculation with the assumption that the two sections are in parallel.

gneill said:
They are parallel because they share the same two nodes at their connection points to any circuit: they share the same wire leads. That also means of course that they share the same potential difference.

So re-work your calculation with the assumption that the two sections are in parallel.

I reworked the calculations for the capacitance, the program is giving me the wrong answer, even though I calculated them in parallel.

And yes, it wants the answer in just Farads.

1zn7pz7.png

Check your area value. The given units is square centimeters. What's that in square meters?

Otherwise, your method looks fine.

Seems like the image finally showed up for me.

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c25/fig25_48_wiley.gif

fig25_48_wiley.gif

Last edited:
gneill said:
Check your area value. The given units is square centimeters. What's that in square meters?

Otherwise, your method looks fine.

OH GOODNESS! I can't believe I overlooked that, It's always the units that get me. Thank you so much!

Related to Parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics?

What is a parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics?

A parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel plates separated by two different dielectric materials. The dielectrics are insulating materials that can store electrical energy between the plates.

What is the purpose of using two dielectrics in a parallel-plate capacitor?

The use of two dielectrics in a parallel-plate capacitor allows for an increase in the capacitance of the capacitor. This is because each dielectric has a different dielectric constant, which affects the capacitance of the capacitor. By using two dielectrics, the overall capacitance can be increased.

How does the dielectric constant affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of how well an insulating material can store electrical energy. The higher the dielectric constant, the higher the capacitance of the parallel-plate capacitor will be. This is because the electric field between the plates is reduced, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates.

What materials are commonly used as dielectrics in a parallel-plate capacitor?

Some common materials used as dielectrics in a parallel-plate capacitor include air, paper, mica, plastic, and ceramic. The choice of dielectric material depends on the specific requirements of the capacitor, such as the desired capacitance, operating voltage, and temperature stability.

How does the distance between the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics?

The distance between the plates, also known as plate separation, is a critical factor in determining the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor with 2 dielectrics. As the distance between the plates decreases, the capacitance increases. This is because the electric field between the plates is stronger, allowing for more charge to be stored on the plates.