Paradox pure rolling and friction

In summary, when a rigid ball rolls on a rigid level with constant velocity, the friction on the contact surface decreases the forward velocity but increases the angular velocity. This may seem paradoxical, but it is possible because the ball is slipping along the surface, not rolling without slipping. Pure rolling without slipping can exist without friction, as seen in examples such as a car traveling on ice or a rocket propelled car with no friction forces. Therefore, the paradox is resolved by understanding the role of friction and relative motion in the motion of the ball.
persia7
suppose a rigid ball roll on a rigid level with constant velocity , the friction on the contact surface decrease the forward velocity but increase angular velocity ,
how do you explain this paradox?

Engineering news on Phys.org
persia7 said:
suppose a rigid ball roll on a rigid level with constant velocity , the friction on the contact surface decrease the forward velocity but increase angular velocity ,
how do you explain this paradox?
Why do you think there is a paradox?

If the ball really rolls (without slipping), I don't see how this could happen. If the ball is slipping initially, it is possible.

mfb said:
If the ball is slipping initially, it is possible.
That's what I assumed.

The classic exercise is for a bowling ball thrown with some velocity onto a lane: calculate the final velocity once it rolls without slipping.

Doc Al said:
Why do you think there is a paradox?

because increasing the angular velocity means increase forward velocity,this is paradox!

persia7 said:
because increasing the angular velocity means increase forward velocity,this is paradox!
Not necessarily. Realize that the ball is slipping along the surface. It is not rolling without slipping.

Imagine the ball is moving to the right with some initial speed V. It is not rotating. When dropped onto the surface, friction acts to the left. That friction force does two things: It creates a translational acceleration that reduces the ball's translational speed and it creates a rotational acceleration that increases the ball's angular speed.

No paradox!

Doc Al said:
Not necessarily. Realize that the ball is slipping along the surface. It is not rolling without slipping.

Imagine the ball is moving to the right with some initial speed V. It is not rotating. When dropped onto the surface, friction acts to the left. That friction force does two things: It creates a translational acceleration that reduces the ball's translational speed and it creates a rotational acceleration that increases the ball's angular speed.

No paradox!
if you are right, it is impossible that there is a pure rolling in world , isn't it paradox!

persia7 said:
if you are right, it is impossible that there is a pure rolling in world , isn't it paradox!
What do you mean by "pure rolling"?

Doc Al said:
What do you mean by "pure rolling"?

in pure rolling velocity of ball and surface at contact point is equal.

In that case, pure rolling exists.

persia7 said:
in pure rolling velocity of ball and surface at contact point is equal.
What you are calling "pure rolling" is what I usually see called "rolling without slipping". That is certainly possible.

For an example of rolling without slipping in which friction opposes the forward velocity as it increases the angular velocity, just roll the ball down an incline. (Of course, gravity also acts.)

Doc Al said:
What you are calling "pure rolling" is what I usually see called "rolling without slipping". That is certainly possible.

For an example of rolling without slipping in which friction opposes the forward velocity as it increases the angular velocity, just roll the ball down an incline. (Of course, gravity also acts.)
i said the velocity is constant . but you say the ball is accelerated , is it paradox?

persia7 said:
i said the velocity is constant . but you say the ball is accelerated , is it paradox?
Sounds like you are creating impossible conditions, not a paradox. If friction is acting, how can the velocity be constant?

An example of rolling without friction at constant velocity (at least approximately) would be a ball rolling along on a horizontal surface. In that case there is no (static) friction and the ball just keeps rolling. (Of course in real life there would be deformation and energy loss.)

I'm still not sure of what situation you have in mind, so please try again to give an example.

If a ball rolls, it needs friction, doesn't it? Otherwise it would only be spinning in one spot without ever going forward (like you need friction between the sole of your shoe and the ground to go forward). If there is friction, then there must be a relative motion between the ball and the ground, hence it must be slipping (even if it is a very small amount).

So I would think that pure rolling without slipping cannot exist if friction is involved. Am I wrong?

jack action said:
So I would think that pure rolling without slipping cannot exist if friction is involved. Am I wrong?

If the center of mass of the wheel is moving with constant velocity, and the wheel is rotating at the correct speed for rolling without slipping, there is no friction force required.

Think about a car traveling a constant speed if there is a stretch of ice on the road (ignoring air resoistance, etc). The wheels will continue to roll without slipping across the ice.

Of course if the speed of the car changes, you need to apply a torque to the wheels to change their rotation speed. But that torque doesn't have to involve friction forces. For example, imagine a rocket propelled car, with a small motor just powerful to spin the wheels up to the correct speed, but not powerful enough to create any friction force to accelerate the car.

jack action said:
If a ball rolls, it needs friction, doesn't it?
It needs friction (or some other force) to accelerate, but it does not need friction to move at a constant velocity.

If there is friction, then there must be a relative motion between the ball and the ground
No.
You are.

Related to Paradox pure rolling and friction

1. What is paradox pure rolling?

Paradox pure rolling is a phenomenon in which an object, such as a wheel, rolls without slipping or sliding, despite the presence of friction. This is often seen in situations where the coefficient of friction is very low, and the object's angular velocity is high.

2. How is paradox pure rolling different from regular rolling?

In regular rolling, there is a combination of both translational and rotational motion, where the object moves forward while also rotating. In paradox pure rolling, the object only rotates without any translational motion, even though there is friction present.

3. Why is paradox pure rolling considered paradoxical?

Paradox pure rolling is considered paradoxical because it goes against our common understanding of how objects move with friction. We expect that an object will experience both translational and rotational motion when there is friction, but paradox pure rolling defies this expectation.

4. What is the role of friction in paradox pure rolling?

Friction plays a crucial role in paradox pure rolling. It provides the necessary force for the object to rotate without slipping, despite the lack of translational motion. Without friction, the object would simply slide or slip instead of rolling.

5. What are some real-life examples of paradox pure rolling?

One example of paradox pure rolling is seen in the motion of a rolling coin. The coin appears to roll without slipping, even though there is friction between the coin and the surface it is rolling on. Another example is seen in the motion of a spinning top on a smooth surface, where it can continue to spin without any translational motion.