Parachute Competition: Find the Equation to Win!

In summary, a person saw a poster for a competition where contestants attach a parachute to a teddy bear and throw it off a tower. They tried to research equations to help them win, but were unable to find any. The person is now wondering if anyone has researched the relationship between parachute size and weight in relation to falling velocity. Suggestions were made to add a horizontal component to the fall and use a parawing instead. However, there are no rules regarding shape or size for the teddy bear. Another suggestion was to create a teddy bear shaped skydiver or use radio control to manipulate the parachute.
rfwebster
hello all,
I recently saw a poster for a competition, the idea is that you get a teddy bear and attach a parachute to it, your bear gets thrown off a tower and the bear which is in the air the longest wins.

Obviously i thought that if i researched parachutes on the internet i could find some equation which would help me win. However i could not.

I am now wondering if there is an equation, or has anyone ever recsearched into the relationship of parachute size to weight to falling velecitys and can anyone help me win?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, RF. I know nothing from math, but you can get more air-time by adding a horizontal component to the fall. That would dictate the use of something more like a parawing than a parachute. What do the rules specify as regards shape and size?

You should make one that has a mechanism by fabric design that makes it slightly dive, then pull up, then due to 0 air velocity, it dives again (like Super Mario World and the Cape!) and It'll add that horizontal component, not require anything but an amazing design, and probably stay in the air for a long time.
If there's any skydivers out there, imagine repeatedly dipping a little then flaring over and over.

there are no rules dictating size, just teddy bear shaped.

Can you find a teddy bear shaped skydiver?

If there is also no rule against radio control, I'd consider building it as a parawing and installing a couple of servos on the puppet lines. :devil:

Related to Parachute Competition: Find the Equation to Win!

1. What is a parachute competition?

A parachute competition is a competitive event where participants design and build parachutes to achieve the longest possible flight time.

2. How does the competition work?

In a parachute competition, each participant's parachute is dropped from a certain height and the flight time is measured. The parachute with the longest flight time wins the competition.

3. What is the equation to win a parachute competition?

The equation to win a parachute competition is: Flight Time = (Drag Coefficient x Air Density x Area x Velocity^2) / (2 x Mass x Gravity).

4. What factors affect the flight time of a parachute?

The flight time of a parachute is affected by the drag coefficient, air density, area of the parachute, velocity, mass, and gravity. These factors can be manipulated in order to achieve the longest flight time and win the competition.

5. How can I improve my chances of winning a parachute competition?

To improve your chances of winning a parachute competition, you can focus on optimizing the design of your parachute by considering the factors that affect flight time. This may involve experimenting with different materials, shapes, and sizes to find the most aerodynamic configuration. Additionally, practicing and refining your deployment technique can also improve your chances of success.