Parabolas: Domain, Range, and Completing the Square

In summary, a parabola is a symmetrical curved shape represented by a quadratic equation. The domain of a parabola is all possible x-values that produce a valid output, while the range is all possible y-values. The range can be found using the quadratic formula or by graphing the curve. A parabola cannot have a negative domain and understanding the domain and range can be useful in various real-world applications.
Stripe

Homework Statement

For the following questions, find the Domain and Range.

Use either the graph or turning point method.

Homework Equations

1. y= -x+6x-8

2. y= x^2-3x-5

3. y= -x^2+4x+4

And a question on the matter, when you complete the square, as in when I half the middle term square it plus take away etc... If before i did that, there is a negative, would i use that in my final answer?

Very hard to write, check my attempts below, might be a bit more descriptive.

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't show the beginning of my working out, but what's near the end or it'll take forever.

1. y= -x^2+6x-8
-(x^2-6x+9)-9+8 = 0
-(x-3)^2-1=0

So what i was asking before was, the negative in front, does that affect the turning point? I wrote it as (3,-1), because the first is the opposite of what's inside and the other is what is outside the brackets exactly, but does that negative change what is inside the brackets that we use for the turning point? And also x is part of the real field right? because it is infinity.

2. y= x^2-3x-5
(x^2-3x-5)=0
(x^2-3x+2.25)-2.25-5=0
(x-1.5)^2-7.25=0
Turning point is = (1.5,-7.25)?

3. y= -x^2+4x+4
-(x^2-4x-4)=0
-(x^2-4x+4)-4-4=0
-(x-2)^2-8=0

Turning point is = (2,-8) and again, does that negative in front affect anything?

And also with this last one, Since it is y=-x^2+4x+4, does that not mean that the parabola will be negative? if it does, the Range would be that {y:y<-8} which means that there would be no X intercept, except for when you use the discriminant, it says that there are 2 answers?

D = b^2-4ac
= 4^2-(4x-1x4)
= 16 + 16
= 32

If the discriminant > 0 doesn't that mean there are 2 x answers?

Thanks for helping out!

Physics news on Phys.org
Stripe said:

Homework Statement

For the following questions, find the Domain and Range.

Use either the graph or turning point method.

Homework Equations

1. y= -x+6x-8

2. y= x^2-3x-5

3. y= -x^2+4x+4

And a question on the matter, when you complete the square, as in when I half the middle term square it plus take away etc... If before i did that, there is a negative, would i use that in my final answer?

Very hard to write, check my attempts below, might be a bit more descriptive.

The Attempt at a Solution

I won't show the beginning of my working out, but what's near the end or it'll take forever.

1. y= -x^2+6x-8
-(x^2-6x+9)-9+8 = 0
-(x-3)^2-1=0
Where did y go? You are not solving the equation for the x-intercepts, just rewriting the original equation in a form suitable for finding the vertex. Here's what the above should look like:
y= -x2+6x-8
= -(x2 - 6x) - 8
= -(x2 - 6x + 9) - 8 + 9 I'm adding 9 since I really added -9 earlier
= (x - 3)2 + 1
So y = (x - 3)2 + 1

Stripe said:
So what i was asking before was, the negative in front, does that affect the turning point?
No. It affects only whether the parabola opens upward or downward.
Stripe said:
I wrote it as (3,-1), because the first is the opposite of what's inside and the other is what is outside the brackets exactly, but does that negative change what is inside the brackets that we use for the turning point? And also x is part of the real field right? because it is infinity.
Because what is infinity? I don't understand your question here.
Stripe said:
2. y= x^2-3x-5
= x2 - 3x + 9/4 - 5 - 9/4
= (x - 3/2)2 - 29/4
Stripe said:
(x^2-3x-5)=0
(x^2-3x+2.25)-2.25-5=0
(x-1.5)^2-7.25=0
Turning point is = (1.5,-7.25)?
Yes
Stripe said:
3. y= -x^2+4x+4
-(x^2-4x-4)=0
-(x^2-4x+4)-4-4=0
-(x-2)^2-8=0
You have a mistake in the line above. What you really added inside the parentheses was -4, so to balance that, you need to add + 4, which makes your equation y = -(x - 2)2 + 8
Stripe said:
Turning point is = (2,-8) and again, does that negative in front affect anything?

And also with this last one, Since it is y=-x^2+4x+4, does that not mean that the parabola will be negative?
A parabola is neither negative nor positive. The negative coefficient on the x2 term determines that the parabola opens downward. A positive coefficient indicates that it will open upward.
Stripe said:
if it does, the Range would be that {y:y<-8} which means that there would be no X intercept, except for when you use the discriminant, it says that there are 2 answers?

D = b^2-4ac
= 4^2-(4x-1x4)
= 16 + 16
= 32

If the discriminant > 0 doesn't that mean there are 2 x answers?

Thanks for helping out!

Thanks a heap mark you cleared up a lot for me, but to clarify:

Where did y go? You are not solving the equation for the x-intercepts, just rewriting the original equation in a form suitable for finding the vertex. Here's what the above should look like:
y= -x2+6x-8
= -(x2 - 6x) - 8
= (x - 3)2 + 1
So y = (x - 3)2 + 1

ok so when you said "I'm adding 9 since I really added -9 earlier" you meant that in:
-(x2 - 6x + 9) - 8 + 9
^ Is actually a -9 because of the negative in front of the brackets?

And in the transition between:

= (x - 3)2 + 1

What happened to the negative in front of the brackets? it just disappeared :S is it negated because you did the +9 at the end?

Thanks for your help so far really helped me!

Stripe said:
Thanks a heap mark you cleared up a lot for me, but to clarify:

ok so when you said "I'm adding 9 since I really added -9 earlier" you meant that in:
-(x2 - 6x + 9) - 8 + 9
^ Is actually a -9 because of the negative in front of the brackets?
Yes
Stripe said:
And in the transition between:

= (x - 3)2 + 1
Typo on my part. I neglected to bring it along. That last line should be
= -(x - 3)2 + 1
Stripe said:
What happened to the negative in front of the brackets? it just disappeared :S is it negated because you did the +9 at the end?

Thanks for your help so far really helped me!

Typo on my part. I neglected to bring it along. That last line should be
= -(x - 3)2 + 1
And so the TP of this would be (3,1)

Thanks for all your help that's about it for now :)

Related to Parabolas: Domain, Range, and Completing the Square

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curved shape that can be represented by a quadratic equation of the form y = ax^2 + bx + c. It has a vertex, which is the highest or lowest point on the curve, and can open upwards or downwards depending on the value of a.

2. What is the domain of a parabola?

The domain of a parabola is all the possible x-values that can be plugged into the equation to produce a valid output. For a standard parabola, the domain is all real numbers. However, if the parabola has restrictions, such as a maximum or minimum value, the domain may be limited.

3. How do you find the range of a parabola?

The range of a parabola is all the possible y-values that the curve can take on. To find the range, you can either use the quadratic formula or graph the parabola and determine the highest or lowest point on the curve. The range will be all values greater than or equal to (or less than or equal to, for a downwards opening parabola) this point.

4. Can a parabola have a negative domain?

No, a parabola cannot have a negative domain. The domain of a parabola is determined by the x-values that produce a valid output when plugged into the equation. Since negative x-values can produce a valid output, the domain cannot be negative.

5. How can understanding the domain and range of a parabola be useful?

Understanding the domain and range of a parabola can be useful in real-world applications, such as predicting the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the range of possible inputs for a given output, and analyzing the behavior of a system or process. It can also help with graphing and solving equations involving parabolas.