Panpipes - confused with the physic principles

In summary, panpipes work by creating an air jet that forces the undisturbed column of air inside the pipe to oscillate at its natural frequency, resulting in a standing wave with the same frequency. This can be calculated using the fundamental frequency formula. Resonance does occur in panpipes, as explained in the Wikipedia article linked above.
changedname
Hi Guys,

I'm just a bit confused, or at least I think I am, with the physics relating to panpipes.

From my current understanding, panpipes work like this;

Air jet is created that enters the pipe, this pressure then forces the undisturbed column of air inside the pipe to oscillate at its natural frequency which is determined by the length of the pipe and the temperature of the air... This then results in a standing wave being produced with the same frequency, and this frequency can be found by using the fundamental frequency formula of

Fo = V/4L

Would that be correct?

My other question is does resonance occur in a panpipe? I can't seem to find any information onthis and I would very muchly appricate if someone could point me into the right direction.

Thanks in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
changedname said:
Hi Guys,

I'm just a bit confused, or at least I think I am, with the physics relating to panpipes.

From my current understanding, panpipes work like this;

Air jet is created that enters the pipe, this pressure then forces the undisturbed column of air inside the pipe to oscillate at its natural frequency which is determined by the length of the pipe and the temperature of the air... This then results in a standing wave being produced with the same frequency, and this frequency can be found by using the fundamental frequency formula of

Fo = V/4L

Would that be correct?

My other question is does resonance occur in a panpipe? I can't seem to find any information onthis and I would very muchly appricate if someone could point me into the right direction.

Thanks in advanced :)

Yes to both questions, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_flute

Related to Panpipes - confused with the physic principles

1. What are panpipes?

Panpipes, also known as pan flutes or syrinx, are a musical instrument made up of a series of hollow tubes of different lengths attached side by side. They are typically made of bamboo, wood, or other materials and are played by blowing air into the open end of the tubes.

2. How do panpipes produce sound?

Panpipes produce sound through the principle of resonance. When air is blown into the tubes, it vibrates within the tube and produces a sound wave. Each tube is a different length, which produces a different pitch when played.

3. How are panpipes different from other wind instruments?

Panpipes are different from other wind instruments in that they do not have a reed or mouthpiece. Instead, the player blows air into the open end of the tubes. They also produce a different sound quality due to the use of multiple tubes of different lengths.

4. Can anyone play panpipes?

While anyone can learn to play panpipes, it does require practice and a certain level of coordination. The player must be able to control the amount of air blown into the tubes and the position of their lips to produce the desired pitch. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn to play panpipes.

5. What is the history of panpipes?

Panpipes have been played for centuries and have roots in many different cultures. They were first developed by the Greeks and were used in ancient music and religious ceremonies. They have since been used in various genres of music and continue to be a popular instrument today.