Pair of moving charged particles

In summary, two calculations are presented regarding the interaction between a positron and an electron fired from parallel particle accelerators. The first calculation shows that the moving charged particles will induce a magnetic field, which will cause a force on the other particle. The second calculation considers a transformation to the particles' coordinate frame, in which they are not moving and there is no magnetic force, only an electrostatic one. The use of a Lorentz transformation is suggested to convert the two fields, but the interaction between the particles is still uncertain.
zebediah49
A positron and an electron are simultaneously fired from paralle particle accelerators a distance d apart, with equal velocity v.

One calculation says that each one will, being a moving charged particle, induce a magnetic field
[tex]
B=\frac{\mu_0 q v}{4\pi d^2}
[/tex]
and since the other is moving in that field, it experiences a force
[tex]
F=q v B = \frac{mu_0 q^2 v^2}{q\pi d^2}
[/tex]
As well as an effect from the electric field, but that's not a problem.

The other calculation says that if I transform to the coordinate frame of the moving particles, they are not moving, and thus there is no force due to magnetic interactions (just the electrostatic one).

I know that I can use a Lorentz transformation to convert the two fields without issue; I'm just not sure what happens with the interaction.

ALSO: could someone refresh me on the latex tag?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put tex in sqaure brackets before and /tex in sq. brackets after.
Use quote to see the latex file below:
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 q v}{4\pi d^2}[/tex]

[tex]{\bf F}=\frac{d{\bf p'}}{dt}
=\frac{qq'[{\bf r}+{\bf v'\times(v\times r)}]}
{\gamma_v^2[{\bf r}^2-({\bf v\times r)^2}]^{\frac{3}{2}}}.[/tex]

Related to Pair of moving charged particles

1. What is a pair of moving charged particles?

A pair of moving charged particles refers to two individual particles, each carrying an electric charge, that are moving through space or a medium. The particles can be of the same charge (both positive or both negative) or of opposite charges (one positive and one negative).

2. How do moving charged particles interact with each other?

Moving charged particles interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. The particles will either be attracted or repelled depending on their charges. Like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (one positive and one negative) will attract each other.

3. What factors affect the motion of a pair of moving charged particles?

The motion of a pair of moving charged particles can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the charges, the distance between the particles, and the presence of any external electric or magnetic fields.

4. Can a pair of moving charged particles create a magnetic field?

Yes, a pair of moving charged particles can create a magnetic field. When the particles are in motion, their electric fields and magnetic fields are intertwined, resulting in a magnetic field being generated around the particles.

5. What are some real-life applications of moving charged particles?

Moving charged particles play a crucial role in many technological applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers. They are also important in particle accelerators, which are used in scientific research to study the fundamental properties of matter. In nature, moving charged particles are responsible for phenomena such as lightning and the aurora borealis.