Padmanabhan hologravity thread

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: I believe the "c" variable in his quantum gravity is related to the spin connection, which is the fundamental structure of space. The spin connection also provides the means by which inertial frames are defined, and the means of relating material and gravitational frames. The spin connection can also be measured, as it determines the strength of gravitation. The spin connection is the prime candidate for a "fundamental" field. See recent work by Hehl, etc. Gravity is not mediated by "virtual gravitons", but by the curvature of space itself. The spin connection determines this curvature. The spin connection is the mediator of the Einstein gravitational field equations. I believe the Padmanabhan approach is a
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Kea had a good idea in the MIP forecast poll thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124951

Kea said:
Perhaps we should start a Padmanabhan thread. I would like to understand his semiclassical holography better. Of course, his Euler equation is so cohomological it's not funny...no, actually, it's very funny really!

Out of innate gallantry o:) and a desire to make myself useful, I should like to start this thread, which I hope other people will be able to make something out of.

The paper in question is
http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0606061
Gravity: A New Holographic Perspective
T. Padmanabhan
Plenary talk at the International Conference on Einstein's Legacy in the New Millennium, December 15 - 22, 2005, Puri, India

Padmanabhan has a holographic idea of how gravity works. this paper is one of those on the MIP forecast poll where you have to predict which papers will have the most influence on future directions of research, over, say, the next year or so. this Padma paper might turn out to be important or other papers might turn out more so.

But as an indication by "track record" we had this earlier Padma paper on the earlier FIRST QUARTER poll
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116791
Thanu Padmanabhan
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0603114
Dark Energy: Mystery of the Millennium
which came out in March 2006 and that sonofagun already has 20 citations, which is more than the others in the poll put together.
here is the earlier poll, you can see who picked that one
https://www.physicsforums.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=817

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Virtual Gravity?

marcus said:
Kea had a good idea in the MIP forecast poll thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124951

Out of innate gallantry o:) and a desire to make myself useful, I should like to start this thread, which I hope other people will be able to make something out of.

The paper in question is
http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0606061
Gravity: A New Holographic Perspective
T. Padmanabhan
Plenary talk at the International Conference on Einstein's Legacy in the New Millennium, December 15 - 22, 2005, Puri, India

Padmanabhan has a holographic idea of how gravity works.

Not to brag or anything but I posted the suggestion on alt.astronomy (on 7/03/2005) that 'gravity' is a function of a higher 'parent' universe and which relies upon the holographic principle causing the 'force of gravity' to seem virtual. Ideas do indeed get around.:biggrin:

"In dealing with the nature of Light we are led to one conclusion that -
quantum mechanics and space when seen together yield a medium which is
both an electromagnetic field (otherwise known as the intergalactic
medium) and a vacuum. I might interject here and state that the - fine
structure constant - exists even where no electromagnetic fields exist
as in a 'null zone'. Since the 'fine structure constant' exists
everywhere, even though it is made of nothing, and yet possibly behaves
according to the laws which govern a multidimensional and holographic
universe when seen through superstring's postulated 'ten-space-time
singularities' of the 3rd dimensional universe (which itself is possibly
just one type of 'adaptive memory' from an original higher astrophysical
model)

Therefore causing and allowing for every single particle in existence to
be both 'non-local' and 'local' at the same time. Or 'virtual' and
'real' simultaneously because what is considered to be the 'real'
universe may in fact be the 'virtual' one. This allows for 'negative
mass' to be the shaping mechanism of what we observe to be 'real mass',
running parallel with virtual 'transparent time-waves', as well as
virtual 'gravity-waves'. This may be one solution as to why we observe a
'frame dragging effect' on matter (such as 'streaks' of light when a car
motors by a camera) due to the 'virtual' parameters of Einstein's 4th
dimensional 'transparent time'. "

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this paper is very exciting since it activates the basic idea of primary Casimir effect as a root to identify the geometrical fluctuation of space, before big bang. However, what I do not understand is that how one can talk about "charged vacuum", those vacuum bubbles which get charged when they are fluctuating.

abstract said:
and gravity does not respond to the changes in the bulk vacuum energy density.
I was drawn to Padmanabhan's work earlier because he was open to the Sakharov interpretation of space as the quantum vacuum - an elastic solid of sorts. The quote above, I believe, is a step backward from a viable description of quantum gravity, because any field which conveys a property on the entities with which it interacts is in turn conditioned in its variable properties by that interaction. This is the basis for Einstein's search for an "ether" to provide for gravitation, inertia, and the transmission of light. If the vacuum field cannot be densified and/or polarized by the matter embedded in it, it can hardly be said to be dynamical. If gravitation is to be reconciled with quantum theory, the nature of the vacuum has to be taken into account. The vacuum contains the bulk of the mass/energy of the Universe, and its role in gravitation cannot be discounted. I believe Padmanabhan is going down a attractive but fruitless path with this latest paper, although earlier works were encouraging. Check the papers linked in reference 13.

Last edited:

Related to Padmanabhan hologravity thread

1. What is Padmanabhan hologravity thread?

Padmanabhan hologravity thread is a theoretical framework proposed by Indian physicist T. Padmanabhan that combines the principles of holography and gravity to explain the nature of spacetime.

2. How does Padmanabhan hologravity thread differ from other theories of gravity?

Unlike other theories of gravity, Padmanabhan hologravity thread suggests that the fundamental nature of spacetime is not continuous, but rather discrete and made up of tiny bits of information known as "hologravitons."

3. What is the significance of holography in Padmanabhan hologravity thread?

Holography is a key element in Padmanabhan hologravity thread as it suggests that all the information about a three-dimensional space can be encoded on a two-dimensional surface. This concept allows for a more efficient and simplified understanding of the dynamics of spacetime.

4. How does Padmanabhan hologravity thread relate to black holes?

In Padmanabhan hologravity thread, black holes are considered as holographic screens that store all the information about the surrounding spacetime. This idea provides a new perspective on the information paradox of black holes.

5. Is there any experimental evidence for Padmanabhan hologravity thread?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for Padmanabhan hologravity thread. However, the theory has been used to make predictions about the cosmological constant and the accelerated expansion of the universe, which have been confirmed by observations.