Packed tower problem (gas-liquid absorption)

In summary, the equipment needed to remove acetone from crude methanol would be an absorber, a condenser, and an evaporator.
SWLABR
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with a packed tower problem I'm working on. Not too sure how things work around here so I'll just jump straight in...

The problem is;

A packed column continuously recovers acetone (component A) from air by absorption with water at 60 deg. F. The air contains 3 mole% acetone, where 97% recovery is desired. The gas flow rate is 50 ft^3/min at 60 deg. F, 1 atm. The maximum allowed gas superficial velocity in the column is 2.4 ft/sec.

>> I can assume that in the range of operation, Y* = 1.75X, where Y and X are mole ratios (acetone to pure carrier).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is;

How would I go about determining the minimum water-to-air flow rate ratio? I know I have to start by finding the maximum acetone concentration possible in the aqueous solution but I'm having an absolute mare trying to figure this out.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First, I am not sure what you mean with the Y*=1.75X. Is that an equilibrium relation? Which phase is Y, which phase is X? One is probably the water phase, one is the air phase. Convention is that X is liquid, Y is gas... so I'll go with that, although it should be specified next time to make sure we're not wasting our time here.

Second, you need to specify whether you are working in countercurrent or co-current operation. Packed columns are mostly operated in countercurrent, but the other is not impossible.

Now, let's assume that the Y*=1.75X equation means: "the molar fraction of acetone in the gas (air) is 1.75 times that of the molar fraction of acetone in water". Let's also assume that we have countercurrent operation (meaning that the gas goes up, water goes down in the column).

This means that the water can theoretically be in equilibrium with the incoming ("fresh") gas which is still full of acetone. After all, the water already traveled all the way through the column so it is pretty much loaded with acetone when it reaches the bottom... and in the last little bit of the tower it finds the fresh air which contains even more acetone than any air encountered in the column so far, and it just absorbs that last bit. You know the air concentration, so you know the air molar fraction. So, you know the maximum molar fraction in water. That is your theoretical minimum.

In reality, you will not reach complete equilibrium, so you must use more water than you just calculated.

Finally, I would like to encourage you to convert all units into SI units when posting. That means: distances in meters, temperatures in either Kelvin or Celcius, time in seconds (although minutes and hours are accepted). I'll immediately admit that I am not certain if this forum has any specific rules about it (I might find myself on an American forum, in which case I should shut my European mouth :biggrin:).

Thanks for the reply CaptainPanic, I forgot about posting this here. I have since sorted this problem, but your reply is much appreciated.

It was a countercurrent problem I was dealing with (gas enters through bottom, liquid enters through top). And yes, Y* = 1.75X is as you say "the molar fraction of acetone in the gas (air) is 1.75 times that of the molar fraction of acetone in water".

Sorry about the units, I too am not American (I'm from NZ) but this was an example problem from an American fellow we had as a lecturer so every example we were given, a good deal of time was wasted converting to SI.

Cheers.

Hi am designing a 50ton methanol plant and need to know what equipment wil i use to remove acetone from the crude methanol

what equipment will i use to remove acetone from crude methanol

Related to Packed tower problem (gas-liquid absorption)

1. What is a packed tower and how does it work?

A packed tower is a type of equipment used for gas-liquid absorption in industrial processes. It consists of a tall cylindrical column filled with a packing material, such as ceramic or metal rings, which provides a large surface area for contact between the gas and liquid phases. The gas, which contains the desired component to be absorbed, is fed into the bottom of the tower and flows upwards through the packing material, while the liquid is introduced at the top and flows downwards. As the gas and liquid come into contact, the desired component is transferred from the gas phase to the liquid phase, resulting in a more concentrated liquid product.

2. What factors affect the performance of a packed tower?

The performance of a packed tower is affected by several factors, including the type and size of packing material used, the gas and liquid flow rates, and the properties of the gas and liquid phases (e.g. density, viscosity, and surface tension). The temperature and pressure conditions inside the tower also play a role in determining the absorption efficiency. Additionally, the design and layout of the tower, as well as any potential obstructions or irregularities in the packing, can impact its performance.

3. How is the efficiency of a packed tower measured?

The efficiency of a packed tower is typically measured by the height of packing required to achieve a desired level of absorption. This is known as the height equivalent to a theoretical plate (HETP) and is used to compare the performance of different types of packing materials. The lower the HETP value, the more efficient the tower is at absorbing the desired component.

4. What are the common problems encountered in packed tower operations?

One common problem in packed tower operations is channeling, which occurs when the liquid flows preferentially through certain areas of the packing, resulting in uneven distribution and reduced contact between the gas and liquid phases. This can lead to decreased absorption efficiency and poor product quality. Another issue is flooding, where the gas and liquid flow rates exceed the tower's capacity, causing the liquid to back up and flood the top of the tower. This can also result in decreased efficiency and potential damage to the equipment.

5. How can the performance of a packed tower be improved?

The performance of a packed tower can be improved by optimizing the design and operating conditions, such as adjusting the flow rates and temperature, and using the most suitable packing material for the specific application. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the tower can also help to prevent problems such as fouling and plugging, which can affect its performance. Additionally, incorporating advanced technologies, such as computer simulations and control systems, can help to improve the efficiency and reliability of packed tower operations.