P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses the surprise at the lack of spherically symmetric orbitals for Hydrogen atoms, despite the nucleus being spherically symmetric. It is explained that this is due to the excitation of the atom, which can break the spherical symmetry. It is also mentioned that a quantum superposition of orbitals can occur, but a measurement would collapse the superposition and introduce asymmetry. The example of planetary motion in classical mechanics is brought up to illustrate a similar concept.
cadamcross2
I'm trying to understand electron orbitals. I'm a beginner. I'm looking at the shapes of p orbitals in a chemistry book, and it's talking about Hydrogen. I'm surprised to see that the orbitals are not spherically symmetric. How can that be when the nucleus is spherically symmetric? Can a hydrogen atom with one electron be excited so that its electron is in one of these orbitals that are not spherically symmetric? If so, how? That would seem to suggest there is some preferred rectangular coordinate system on the hydrogen atom.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can depend on what caused the excitation. For instance, a photon has a direction of propagation and a polarization, which in effect break the spherical symmetry.

In a case where the spherical symmetry should be preserved, you have to consider that the electron will not be in a definite p orbital, but in an equal superposition of all three p orbitals. A bit of math should convince you that the sum of spherical harmonics
[tex] Y_{1,-1} (\theta, \phi) + Y_{1,0} (\theta, \phi) + Y_{1,1} (\theta, \phi)[/tex] leads to a probability distribution for the electron that is independent of [itex](\theta, \phi)[/itex].

I'm surprised to see that the orbitals are not spherically symmetric. How can that be when the nucleus is spherically symmetric?
Space has the same laws of physics in all directions, but this does not mean that it particles in space have to be the same everywhere - on a larger scale, humans are not spherical, for example.

That would seem to suggest there is some preferred rectangular coordinate system on the hydrogen atom.
Not if you fill all orbitals with electrons, or have superpositions of those orbitals with less electrons. Those shapes are mathematical solutions - it does not mean that you have to have an electron orbital in that shape.

It can depend on what caused the excitation. For instance, a photon has a direction of propagation and a polarization, which in effect break the spherical symmetry.

In a case where the spherical symmetry should be preserved, you have to consider that the electron will not be in a definite p orbital, but in an equal superposition of all three p orbitals. A bit of math should convince you that the sum of spherical harmonics
[tex] Y_{1,-1} (\theta, \phi) + Y_{1,0} (\theta, \phi) + Y_{1,1} (\theta, \phi)[/tex] leads to a probability distribution for the electron that is independent of [itex](\theta, \phi)[/itex].

DrClaude said:

Just to clarify, [tex] Y_{1,-1} (\theta, \phi)^2 + Y_{1,0} (\theta, \phi)^2 + Y_{1,1} (\theta, \phi)^2[/tex] leads to a probability distribution for that independent of [itex](\theta, \phi)[/itex].

@mfb I was taking it as axiomatic that a proton is spherically symmetric. I think it follows that a proton cannot have properties that make some direction special. The drawings in my chemistry book made it looks like these p orbitals designate special directions.

I think the comments will help my understanding, but I'll give it some time to digest. In particular, I had not considered a quantum superposition. (As I said, I'm only a beginner.)

A hypothesis to test whether I've understood you: an electron could be in a quantum superposition of these orbitals. If we want to observe it in one of them, that forces it to be in just one of them (if this is possible---I don't know if that can or cannot be done in a lab), but the measurement we did would introduce the asymmetry in the problem that accounts for the orbital not being spherically symmetric.

Thanks for your help.

cadamcross2 said:
@mfb I was taking it as axiomatic that a proton is spherically symmetric.
Neglecting its spin (where you get the same thing, just smaller), this is true.
The drawings in my chemistry book made it looks like these p orbitals designate special directions.
Well, that is a mathematical solution.
an electron could be in a quantum superposition of these orbitals. If we want to observe it in one of them, that forces it to be in just one of them (if this is possible---I don't know if that can or cannot be done in a lab), but the measurement we did would introduce the asymmetry in the problem that accounts for the orbital not being spherically symmetric.
Right

I don't understand what's so surprising, as this is also the case in classical mechanics.
The motion of the planets around the sun takes place in the ecliptic although the potential of the sun is spherically symmetric.

Related to P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen

1. What is a P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen?

A P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen is a specific type of atomic orbital that describes the three-dimensional space where an electron is most likely to be found around a Hydrogen atom. This orbital is characterized by its shape, which resembles a dumbbell.

2. How many electrons can a P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen hold?

A P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen can hold a maximum of 6 electrons. Each orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, and there are 3 P-orbitals in the P-subshell.

3. What is the energy level of the P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen?

The P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen is in the second energy level, also known as the P-shell. The first energy level, or the S-shell, is filled before electrons can occupy the P-shell.

4. How does the shape of the P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen differ from the S-subshell orbital?

The P-subshell orbital of Hydrogen has a dumbbell shape, while the S-subshell orbital is spherical. This is due to the presence of two lobes in the P-orbitals, whereas the S-orbitals have only one.

5. How does the number of P-subshell orbitals in Hydrogen compare to other elements?

Hydrogen has 1 P-subshell orbital, which is the same for all elements in the periodic table. However, as the atomic number increases, the number of P-subshell orbitals also increases. For example, Carbon has 3 P-subshell orbitals, while Chlorine has 5.