P-Chem: Van der Waals Equation data

In summary, the conversation is discussing using the Van der Waals equation and Lennard-Jones potential energy function to determine the approximate molecular volume of CCl4 and CH4. The values for the equation are provided in Table 1.6 in appendix A, and the parameters for Cl and H are also given. The person asking for help has not made an attempt yet and is seeking assistance. They express frustration with being told to try harder and ask for a step in the right direction.
bubbaburp

Homework Statement

Based on values for the Van der Waals equation tabulated in Table 1.6 in
appendix A, determine an approximate molecular volume for CCl4 and CH4.

Rationalize these values based on reasonable bond lengths and other
parameters. The Lennard-Jones potential energy function is often used to
model interactions between molecules.

Homework Equations

V(r) = 4ε [{σ/R}^12 - {σ/R}^6]

For Cl, ε = 357/k, σ = 4.115 Angstrom
For H, ε = 33.3/k, σ = 2.968 Angstrom

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt has been made as of yet, except for logging on this site and requiring assistance!

Attachments

• van der Waals coefficients.jpg
    van der Waals coefficients.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bubbaburp said:
No attempt has been made as of yet, except for logging on this site and requiring assistance!

That doesn't count as an effort. Try harder.

C'mon, I'm coming here for help, not to be told how to study. I learn when things are explained to me which, ironically, most of my professors fail to do. At least give me a step forward in the right direction so I can quickly solve the problem. I don't have time for a thorough comprehensive reading on the subject.

Related to P-Chem: Van der Waals Equation data

1. What is the Van der Waals Equation?

The Van der Waals Equation is an equation of state that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account the intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas particles. It is a modification of the ideal gas law, and is used to calculate the properties of gases at high pressures and/or low temperatures.

2. How is the Van der Waals Equation derived?

The Van der Waals Equation is derived from the ideal gas law by incorporating two correction factors: the first accounts for the attractive forces between gas particles, and the second accounts for the volume of the gas particles themselves. These corrections are based on the Van der Waals constants for a specific gas.

3. What are the Van der Waals constants?

The Van der Waals constants, a and b, are parameters that vary for each gas and are used in the Van der Waals Equation to correct for the attractive forces between gas particles and the volume of the gas particles. They are experimentally determined and can be found in tables for different gases.

4. How is the Van der Waals Equation used to calculate gas properties?

The Van der Waals Equation can be rearranged to solve for various gas properties, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is commonly used to calculate the compressibility factor, which is a measure of how closely a gas behaves like an ideal gas, and the van der Waals constants can also be used to calculate other thermodynamic properties, such as critical temperature and pressure.

5. What are the limitations of the Van der Waals Equation?

The Van der Waals Equation is only an approximation and has limitations for gases at high pressures and/or low temperatures. It does not account for the behavior of gases near their critical points, and it assumes that the intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles are constant over a wide range of conditions. Therefore, it is most accurate for gases with small intermolecular forces and relatively large volumes, such as noble gases.