Overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration

In summary, Zernike polynomials are used to describe optical aberrations and can be expressed as Vmn(ρ,θ). The parameters m and n represent the Zernike orders, while R and A are used for creating aberrations on an optical flat. R represents the radius and A is the amplitude of the aberration in radians, which is necessary for the trigonometric functions used in the optical field composition. These formulas for the optical field can be found in Born and Wolf, which is a good resource for understanding Zernike polynomials and aberrations.
lechris
Hi there,
optical aberrations can be expressed by Zernike polynomials Vmn(ρ,θ).
Now, for my simulations i am using software that takes 4 inputs for creating aberrations onto an optical flat: m,n,R,A
m,n are the Zernike orders which is perfectly clear.
For R,A the manual says:
R: the radius
A: the amplitude of aberration in radians reached at R
I am still unclear how to interpret these parameters. I was looking through the source code and could make up the following:
ρ = sqrt( x*x + y*y )/ R*R) which i suppose does some kind of spatial scaling of the aberration
A is the Amplitude of the Zernike polynomial A*Vmn(ρ,θ), which i suppose does some kind of height scaling

Finally the optical field is composed as such:
RE{Field} = RE{Field_old}*cos(A*Vmn(ρ,θ)) - IM{Field_old}*sin(A*Vmn(ρ,θ))
IM{Field} = RE{Field_old}*sin(A*Vmn(ρ,θ)) + IM{Field_old}*cos(A*Vmn(ρ,θ))

Can someone explain to me how the parameters are supposed to work? Since when is amplitude expressed in radians?
I couldn't find the aforementioned formulas in any standard textbook yet (i see that the last 2 are just complex numbers multiplied, which represent the optical fields). Where are these formulas taken from?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Zoiks... you're definitely out in the weeds here, based on your notation I recommend checking out the relevant sections in Born and Wolf. Ok- first, some background. Zernike polynomials are one way to parameterize the aberration function, which itself is a way to describe the departure of the actual wavefront from an ideal (spherical) wavefront. Zernike polynomials are defined on a circle: Vmn(ρ sinθ,ρ cosθ)=Rmn(ρ) einθ. This is the connection with your RE{field} and IM{field} expressions (and also derived in Born and Wolf).

Because the polynomials are defined on the unit circle, you can scale by the actual radius (as you mention). Why is the amplitude in radians? Because of the way the aberration function Φ is defined: the optical field at a point P, U(P), is given as a Fresnel diffraction integral, and the aberration function gets placed in the integrand e ik(Φ+s).

Does this help? The topic is very math-intensive, too much for my limited LaTex abilities here.

Likes lechris
lechris said:
Since when is amplitude expressed in radians?
I never heard of Zernike polynomials but the dimensions must be right in any formula.
If A is inside a trig function then you have to be talking in terms of angles and radians are the way to specify an angle. (The argument of a trig function has to be dimensionless)

Related to Overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration

1. What is overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration?

Overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration is a technique used in optics to simulate and correct for aberrations in an optical system. It involves superimposing an ideal optical field with a known Zernike aberration pattern, allowing for the visualization and analysis of how the aberration affects the overall optical performance.

2. What is a Zernike aberration?

A Zernike aberration is a type of optical aberration that occurs when light passing through an optical system does not focus perfectly at a point. It is described mathematically by the Zernike polynomial series, which can be used to represent the shape and magnitude of the aberration.

3. How is overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration useful in optics?

Overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration allows for the analysis and correction of aberrations in an optical system. By comparing the ideal optical field with the aberrated field, one can determine the type and magnitude of the aberration and make adjustments to optimize the system's performance.

4. What types of aberrations can be corrected using overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration?

Zernike aberrations can correct for a wide range of optical aberrations, including spherical, coma, astigmatism, and higher-order aberrations. This technique is especially useful for correcting for non-symmetric aberrations that cannot be corrected with traditional methods.

5. How is overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration implemented in practice?

Overlaying optical field with Zernike aberration can be implemented using computer software or physical optical elements. In software, the ideal and aberrated fields are mathematically combined to create a simulated image. In physical systems, the Zernike aberration pattern is introduced using specialized optical elements, such as deformable mirrors or phase plates, to correct for the aberration.