Which Power Value Should Be Used for Calculating Power Density in Pulse Lasers?

In summary: But yeah, definitely don't expose yourself to a Class IV laser without proper equipment and clothing.
breezels
For pulse lasers, thers are two parameters describing its output power.
One is "the average power",which equals to the product of the energy of single pulse and the pulse repetition rate(per.second.);
the other is "the peak power", which is defined as the ratio of the energy of single puse to pulse duration.
My question: When we want to get the values of "power density(w/cm2)",
which power value( "the average power" value or "the peak power" value )should be used as the output power in the calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that the average power would be the more meaningful in this case. But there is a direct relationship, the area of the pulse is directly proportional to the average power so if you are careful it should not matter.

This is a quick off the top of my head response. I will see if I can learn any different when I get to my references at work.

breezels said:
My question: When we want to get the values of "power density(w/cm2)",
which power value( "the average power" value or "the peak power" value )should be used as the output power in the calculation?
It depends on what you're using the power density (or intensity) for.

Gokul43201 said:
It depends on what you're using the power density (or intensity) for.
For example: nanosecond pump pulse lasers are used in my experiments--stimulated Raman scattering Experiment.
As long as the pump intensity (W/cm^2) exceeds some threshold value( at least 1.0 MW/cm^2) , the stimulated Raman scattering would occur.
For this case, the peak power is chosen. Right?

If all you care about is the output power of your laser, you could easily verify it by using a power meter. There are power meters that work under both pulse and cw operations.

Zz.

breezels said:
Yes, that sounds right.

breezels said:
For example: nanosecond pump pulse lasers are used in my experiments--stimulated Raman scattering Experiment.
As long as the pump intensity (W/cm^2) exceeds some threshold value( at least 1.0 MW/cm^2) , the stimulated Raman scattering would occur.

If you use a laser emitting an average power so loud, you'll surely find output mirror melted, after broken.

armandowww said:
If you use a laser emitting an average power so loud, you'll surely find output mirror melted, after broken.
Yeah! This situation may occur.But sometimes a fused-silicon glass
could withstand the intense power.

Class IV lasers

I have a question, are class IV lasers actually bad for your skin? I work with some class IV lasers, and if I want to temporarily block a beam I will usually just put my hand in the way. I suppose that exposing yourself to any sort of radiation is generally not good for you, but I don't suppose that it's really harmful at all.

Mindscrape said:
I have a question, are class IV lasers actually bad for your skin? I work with some class IV lasers, and if I want to temporarily block a beam I will usually just put my hand in the way. I suppose that exposing yourself to any sort of radiation is generally not good for you, but I don't suppose that it's really harmful at all.
Do you have an black iron plate ?It can block the beam instead of your hands.

From the OSHA Technical Manual, SECTION III, CHAPTER 6 : LASER HAZARDS

f. Class IV: High power lasers (cw: 500 mW, pulsed: 10 J/cm2 or the diffuse reflection limit) are hazardous to view under any condition (directly or diffusely scattered) and are a potential fire hazard and a skin hazard. Significant controls are required of Class IV laser facilities.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_6.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I didn't realize that Class IV were 500mW, it must just be that we have the Class IV laser hazard on our door for some kind of safety reason (maybe we have one laying around), though all the ones we have must be Class III since they are around 100-200mW (which is still nothing to scoff at). Yeah, we do have iron plates around, but I'm using that to block off my split beams. Just sticking your hand in and out real quick to see how well a laser is coupled can't really be bad for you.

Related to Which Power Value Should Be Used for Calculating Power Density in Pulse Lasers?

1. What is the output power of a pulse laser?

The output power of a pulse laser refers to the amount of energy that is released in the form of a pulse or burst of light. It is typically measured in watts (W) and can vary depending on the type and design of the laser.

2. How is the output power of pulse lasers measured?

The output power of a pulse laser can be measured using a power meter, which is a device that detects and measures the intensity of light. This measurement is usually taken at the output of the laser, where the light is emitted.

3. What factors affect the output power of pulse lasers?

The output power of pulse lasers can be affected by several factors, including the type of laser, the energy source used, the design and efficiency of the laser, and the environment in which it is operated. It can also be influenced by the temperature, alignment, and maintenance of the laser.

4. Can the output power of a pulse laser be adjusted?

Yes, the output power of a pulse laser can be adjusted by changing the parameters of the laser, such as the pulse duration, repetition rate, or energy per pulse. This can be done manually or through a computer-controlled system.

5. What are the applications of pulse lasers with high output power?

Pulse lasers with high output power are used in a variety of applications, such as cutting, welding, and drilling in industrial processes, medical procedures, scientific research, and military operations. They are also used in entertainment, such as laser light shows and laser displays.