Oscillating in Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary, an object with a mass of 200 g and an amplitude of 2 cm is oscillating in simple harmonic motion with a period of 0.4 seconds. The task is to find the velocity when its displacement from the equilibrium position is 0.5 cm. Using the formula for the period of a mass-spring system, the force constant (k) is calculated to be 49.35 N/m. Plugging this value into the equation for velocity, the resulting answer is non-real, possibly due to a calculation error.
jisrael93

Homework Statement

A 200-g object is oscillating in simple harmonic monition with an amplitude of 2 cm and a period of 0.4 seconds. Find the velocity when its displacement from the equilibrium position is 0.5 cm.

Homework Equations

Restoring Force = -(constant force)(displacement)
Elastic PE = 1/2 k(s squared)
velocity = [itex]\sqrt{k/m(A squared - s squared}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help finding the constant force. If I can figure out how to solve that variable, I can finish the problem just fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
jisrael93 said:

Homework Statement

A 200-g object is oscillating in simple harmonic monition with an amplitude of 2 cm and a period of 0.4 seconds. Find the velocity when its displacement from the equilibrium position is 0.5 cm.

Homework Equations

Restoring Force = -(constant force)(displacement)
Elastic PE = 1/2 k(s squared)
velocity = [itex]\sqrt{k/m(A squared - s squared}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help finding the constant force. If I can figure out how to solve that variable, I can finish the problem just fine.

I think you mean the "force constant", k, for the spring. Why not consider the formula for the period of a mass-spring system?

Also try using the x2 and x2 icons in the edit frame header to produce superscripts and subscripts :wink:

gneill said:
Also try using the x2 and x2 icons in the edit frame header to produce superscripts and subscripts :wink:

I missed them too.
Hope they are repositioned at Quick Symbols and adding new symbol, 1/2.

Thank you.

gneill said:
I think you mean the "force constant", k, for the spring. Why not consider the formula for the period of a mass-spring system?

Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that - I think the first part of this homework fried my brain before I got to this and I just forgot to look at my other equations! However, when I acquired a k value of 49.35 and did the equation in my original post for velocity, I acquired a negative number under the radical, therefore giving me a non-real answer. Am I doing something wrong?

jisrael93 said:
Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that - I think the first part of this homework fried my brain before I got to this and I just forgot to look at my other equations! However, when I acquired a k value of 49.35 and did the equation in my original post for velocity, I acquired a negative number under the radical, therefore giving me a non-real answer. Am I doing something wrong?

Your value for k looks fine (you should include units when you present a number).

The equation you wrote for velocity is okay. Maybe finger problems on the calculator? :smile:
Why not show your calculation step by step?

Related to Oscillating in Simple Harmonic Motion?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of oscillating motion where the restoring force acting on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position, and it is directed towards the equilibrium position.

2. What causes Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is caused by a restoring force, which can be caused by factors such as gravity, elasticity, or electromagnetism.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. What is the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of Simple Harmonic Motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and it is calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency.

5. What are some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-world examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string.