Orthonormal Basis: Show A is Self-Adjoint

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether the linear operator A is self-adjoint when acting on energy eigenstates ##ψ_n##. It is shown that in the basis ##ψ_n##, A can be represented by a 2x2 matrix with specific elements. The confusion arises from understanding where this matrix comes from and what it operates on. It is explained that the matrix elements are calculated using the formula A_{mn}=\langle \psi_m|A|\psi_n\rangle, and the matrix acts on column vectors that are obtained from a certain procedure. The example given is used to illustrate this, with the column vector ##ψ_1## being equal to [1,0] and the column vector
dyn
Hi. Been looking at a question and its solution and I'm confused. Question is -

Let ##ψ_n## ,n=1,2,... be an orthonormal basis consisting of eigenstates of a Hamiltonian operator H with non-degenerate eigenvalues ##E_n##. Let A be a linear operator which acts on the energy eigenstates ##ψ_n## as
A##ψ_1##=2##ψ_1## - i ##ψ_2##
A##ψ_2##= i ##ψ_1## + 2##ψ_2##
A##ψ_n## = 0 , n=3,4,5,... Show that A is self-adjoint

The answer is - In the basis ##ψ_n## , A can be written as a matrix having zeroes everywhere except in the left upper 2 x 2 block where A = $$\begin{pmatrix} 2 & i \\ -i & 2 \end{pmatrix}$$
This makes self-adjointness obvious.

What I'm confused about is where this matrix comes from and what does it operate on ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix elements are calculated using:

[itex] A_{mn}=\langle \psi_m|A|\psi_n\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \psi_m^* A \psi_n dx [/itex]

And the matrix acts on column vectors coming from the procedure below:

[itex] |\Phi\rangle=\sum_{s=0}^\infty a_s |\psi_s\rangle \Rightarrow |\Phi\rangle \rightarrow \left( \begin{array} \\ a_1 \\ a_2 \\ a_3 \\ . \\ . \\ . \end{array} \right) [/itex]

Thanks. In the example I have given ,what is the column vector ##ψ_1## ? Because when matrix A acts on it it also produces a ##ψ_2## term ?

##\psi_1=\pmatrix{1 \cr 0 },\quad\psi_2=\pmatrix{0 \cr 1}.##

Likes 1 person

Related to Orthonormal Basis: Show A is Self-Adjoint

What is an orthonormal basis?

An orthonormal basis is a set of vectors in a vector space that are all mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a length of 1 (unit length).

How is an orthonormal basis related to self-adjointness?

An orthonormal basis is essential for defining a self-adjoint operator, which is an operator that is equal to its own adjoint (transpose) with respect to a given inner product. This allows for the operator to have real eigenvalues and for the eigenvectors to form an orthonormal basis.

What is the significance of an operator being self-adjoint?

A self-adjoint operator has several important properties, including having real eigenvalues, being diagonalizable, and having orthogonal eigenvectors. This makes it easier to analyze and solve problems involving the operator.

How can I show that a given operator is self-adjoint?

To show that an operator A is self-adjoint, you must demonstrate that A is equal to its own adjoint (A*), or in other words, A*A = A*A*. This can be done by explicitly calculating the adjoint of A and then verifying that it is equal to A itself.

What are some common examples of self-adjoint operators?

Some common examples of self-adjoint operators include the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics, the Laplacian operator in differential equations, and the covariance matrix in statistics.