Orthogonal Properties for Sine Don't Hold if Pi is involded?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of orthogonal properties for sine functions, specifically when pi is involved. The individual is trying to find Fourier coefficients, but the integral they are using does not always result in the expected values due to the properties of sine. They ask if there is a quicker way to evaluate the integral and if there are other orthogonal properties that could help. The response mentions Sturm-Liouville theory and suggests integrating to see the result. Ultimately, it is concluded that the set of functions \left \{ \sin\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right\} are orthogonal on [0, L/2], but it is unclear if there are other similar properties for \left \{ \sin\
mmmboh
Orthogonal Properties for Sine Don't Hold if Pi is involded??

Normally I know [tex]
\int_{-L}^L \sin \frac{n x}{L} \sin \frac{\m x}{L} ~ dx = 0\mbox{ if }n\not =m , \ =L \mbox{ if }n=m
[/tex] but apparently this doesn't work for [tex]
\int_{-L}^L \sin \frac{\pi n x}{L} \sin \frac{\pi m x}{L} ~ dx
[/tex]

I am trying to find Fourier coefficients, and my integral is [tex]\int_{0}^{L/2} \sin \frac{2\pi x}{L} \sin \frac{\pi n x}{L} ~ dx
[/tex]

For even n that aren't 2, the integral is 0, if n=2, then the integral is L/2, but if n is odd, then the integral doesn't equal 0 (it's actually a fairly complex answer) even thought it looks like it should by orthogonal properties ...why doesn't this work?

The integrals I am doing take very long to do, is there a property that would allow me to shorten them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It does work. If [itex]n \ne m[/itex] are positive integers then

[tex]\int_0^L\ \sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})\sin(\frac{m\pi x}{L})\, dx = 0[/tex]

Sturm-Liouville theory would guarantee this without working it out.

Sorry the limits are actually 0 to L/2, in this case it doesn't work, is there another property that would help evaluate the integral quicker or do I have to go through the whole thing every time?

The set of functions

[tex]\left \{ \sin\frac{2n\pi x}{L}\right\}[/tex]

are orthogonal on [0, L/2].

Is there anything like that for [tex]
\left \{ \sin\frac{(2n)\pi x}{L}\right\ \left \sin\frac{(2n+1)\pi x}{L}\right\}
[/tex]?

mmmboh said:
Is there anything like that for [tex]
\left \{ \sin\frac{(2n)\pi x}{L}\right\ \left \sin\frac{(2n+1)\pi x}{L}\right\}
[/tex]?

I doubt you will get zero, but why don't you just integrate it and see?

Related to Orthogonal Properties for Sine Don't Hold if Pi is involded?

1. What are orthogonal properties for sine?

Orthogonal properties for sine refer to the mathematical concept that the sine function is a periodic function with a period of 2π. This means that the values of the sine function repeat themselves every 2π units on the x-axis.

2. How do orthogonal properties for sine hold?

Orthogonal properties for sine hold when the value of π is not involved. In other words, when the x-axis is measured in units of length and not in radians. In this case, the sine function is a simple sinusoidal wave with a period of 2π and amplitude of 1.

3. What happens to the orthogonal properties for sine when π is involved?

If π is involved, the x-axis is measured in radians instead of units of length. This results in the sine function having a different period and amplitude, breaking the orthogonal properties. The function becomes a stretched or compressed version of the standard sine wave.

4. Why do orthogonal properties for sine not hold if π is involved?

The reason for this is because π is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This leads to a change in the units of measurement, resulting in a different period and amplitude for the sine function.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding orthogonal properties for sine?

Yes, understanding orthogonal properties for sine is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used in signal processing, sound and light waves, and in the study of periodic motion. It also has practical applications in fields such as music and astronomy.